Rough idling help

Turrican_Tracks

Reaction score
Hi first up, I’m no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but like to credit myself with a certain amount of common sense and reasonably handy with the right tools. However, I really don’t want to waste any unnecessary effort if I can help it.

S3 runs rough on idle. Around 700-800 rpm especially in efficiency mode. Misfires a few times so feels lumpy and then there’s an audible click of a solenoid or relay and it appears to right itself momentarily, before repeating the loop. It used to be very occasional but lately it’s been nearly every time I use the car to the point where it actually died when coming to a stop in traffic with the engine light flashing.

Checked with Carista and it showed the following faults on cylinder 1 more or less the same on 4;

6511 - Cylinder 1: Combustion misfire during intake manifold injection detected

Freeze frame :

Priority: 2
Malfunction frequency counter: 1
Unlearning counter: 255
Odometer reading: 202747 km
Date: 16 May 2024 12:47:30 pm
Engine rpm: 1402.25 RPM
Normed load value: 13.3 %
Vehicle speed: 16.0 km/h
Coolant temperature: 93 °C
Intake air temperature: 33 °C
Ambient air pressure: 990 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 13.339 V

Figured I’d swap coil packs from 1&4 with 2&3 to see if the fault followed. It didn’t so my initial thinking is spark plugs…. Could I be barking up the wrong tree?

Having cleared the faults again this time I got a fault saying something about the idle sensor receiving an unexpected rpm and the exhaust valve grounding in addition to the same 1/4 faults. Sadly I didn’t save the actual readout before clearing them and they didn’t come back.

However; one thing I’m noticing is when the car is warm it’s completely stable. Driving around for 20 minutes running Carista on live shows nothing untoward at all. And when I came to a stop the diagnostics show a clean bill of health throughout.

Does any of this sound obvious to the trained and experienced owner / mechanic?

I’m hoping it’s not something more sinister (aka expensive)

Any hints come greatfully receiving

Thanks I’m advance

Ben

Could be a problem with the camshaft adjuster magnets.
Sounds similar to the problem I had and that's what it turned out to be.
Search on here and you'll find more info as it's quite common.

Hope it's not the other problem I had which was 2 failing injectors and eventually flooded the engine causing it to stop. That was a lot more expensive to fix.

Last edited:
Could be a problem with the camshaft adjuster magnets.
Sounds similar to the problem I had and that's what it turned out to be.
Search on here and you'll find more info as it's quite common.

Hope it's not the other problem I had which was 2 failing injectors and eventually flooded the engine causing it to stop. That was a lot more expensive to fix.
That camshaft adjuster did cross my mind although It would surprise (and dissapoint me) if it was as they were done less than two years ago and I’ve only done 15k since then. Although I wouldn’t rule it out.

It wasn’t a particularly expensive part of I remember correctly but I’d like to do it myself if it’s not too difficult.

The injectors are indeed my main worry for obvious reasons

Thanks