Android Auto in B8 - Bavarian Automotive vs Integrated Automotive vs Other

GSB1

Reaction score
Website
www.shootpetrol.co.uk
Hi all,

While I have lived with it for 12 years, the dated navigation experience in my 2010 S4 (MMI 3G High) is now starting to bug me. Although I have thought to just get a newer car, having driven various newer cars recently, it's only the nav experience in the B8 that leaves me wanting newer. And bettering the B8 S4 with something a few years old costs a lot of money.

Latest firmware and maps for the MMI doesn't solve my problem as it still won't factor traffic congestion. So I am looking at a 3rd party Android Auto kit so i can use Google maps or Waze.

On the B8 with MMI 3G High, the limitation for all the 3rd party retrofit kits them all seems to be that the car only supports Bluetooth for calls, not audio streaming or navigation instructions over Bluetooth ( I think 3G plus owners are Ok on this point). To have any audio from the 3rd party interface, the MMI has to be set to Aux. So to achieve navigation instructions from Android Auto, MMI is on Aux, therefore Android Auto has to be the source of any music, as the cars FM/DAB radio or MMI Jukebox cannot be used at the same time. Originally this put me off, but reality is I drive 99% of the time listening to whatever is on the same radio station and an internet radio app would be a simple solution, albeit a bit patchier subject to data reception and how well the app buffers I guess.

I am confident enough to fit this myself. I don't want to replace the original screen, nor do I even want to remove it for a touchscreen overlay.

I have narrowed my search to these two UK supplied options:
Bavarian Automotive:

Integrated Automotive:

Notable price difference between the two. I am not convinced the IA option worth the premium, unless anyone knows different.

Anyone had one or the other (or something else) that can offer feedback?

TIA
Graham

I have this in mine. Waze and google maps no problem CarPlay works fine. Dab radio etc. I can use the cars original radio FM/dab switch back to the android system for nav Google maps/Waze and it will remain on the original radio station in the background with the new maps displayed.

Only issue is if you want to change station you switch back to the MMI menu and then have to tap back into the android auto for maps again.

It needs a separate mic for voice commands but my phone is linked to both the car’s Bluetooth and the android at the same time.

Looks great Grizzly, but I want to retain the originality of the car, hence looking for options that use the existing car display.

They have the little box that plugs into the factory connectors and runs carplay/android auto in the OEM screen. I'm not familiar with your retailers but that's the one you want. It's cheaper than an aftermarket tack on screen also.

61M1pH6feoL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

I fitted the Bavarian-automotive kit to my wifes A5. Its easy to fit and works really well. Its all controlled via either voice commands or existing car controls. You can listen to the cars FM or jukebox but you wont get satnav instruction at the same time. I listen to spotify through it most of the time through it anyway. You can switch between factory controls and android auto/carplay whenever you want.

In all Fairness GSB1, I appreciate that you want to retain the originality of the car. But if you were to fit the Screen kit Grizzly mentioned it will be removable and easily set back to factory. I also have the same kit, you get a touch screen function, larger screen so much better for visuals and it can be a selling point to the car should you wish to sell in the future.

99% of newer cars are coming as standard with apple/android play so for someone looking for a slightly older car it helps to sell.
It's not a 5minute job but if you're planning on keeping your car long term I'd say its well worth it, you can also add a reversing camera if you are feeling adventurous enough. Once fitted it looks factory. I have a fiesta van as a works vehicle and that has a factory screen fitted and its even taller than this one.

It doesn't looks out of place, and it retains your factory radio MMI settings etc

I think the options with a replacement screen look great. Just not for me with this vehicle.

Just waiting to see how John gets on with the Mr12volt box and I will probably order the same.

Appreciate all the input.

Reactions: Stickystuff
Just waiting to see how John gets on with the Mr12volt box and I will probably order the same.
Hopefully fitting this afternoon if it doesn’t rain!

Reactions: GSB1
I finally got around to fitting this at the weekend. I’m rather impressed with it. The supplied radio keys are not the best and got stuck so took a while to remove them.