Rear parking sensors failed

Mothy69

in gear but clutch slipping
Reaction score
Hi all. My sensors have died = long beep going into reverse. Local garage says its the central ones.
But can't say which.

A) can vcds tell me which? Anyone in Sussex able to help?
B) can I turn them off to stop the annoying beep everytime I start it & put it in reverse?

Thanks.

NHN help me :)

Do you have the override button on your central dash consol,?

Reactions: Mothy69
you can pull the cable out of the module it's in the rear NS cubby hole all the way in the bottom it disconnects the sensors so the module will just log a faultcode and stay silent. but you can buy them cheap enough a set of 4 starts at 20 pounds (chinese made) or go for 10 to 15 pound a piece for OEM quality ones. (the chinese ones are fine though I've used them before)

VCDS will not turn it off but you can code it out... it will also tell you which ones aren't working too, is it needed at those prices? nope just replace them all because when 1 goes the rest will soon follow suit. But you'll want to keep the working ones as spares so best to find out wich ones work and which don't. And that just means putting the car in reverse and having someone feel the sensors the working ones will vibrate, the broken ones won't. The only reason to use VCDS is to findout the exact partnumber on the sensors, always replace them with the latest revision. AFAIK the part number for the latest revsion as used on the B7 ends in F.

Reactions: Mothy69
you can pull the cable out of the module it's in the rear NS cubby hole all the way in the bottom it disconnects the sensors so the module will just log a faultcode and stay silent. but you can buy them cheap enough a set of 4 starts at 20 pounds (chinese made) or go for 10 to 15 pound a piece for OEM quality ones. (the chinese ones are fine though I've used them before)

VCDS will not turn it off but you can code it out... it will also tell you which ones aren't working too, is it needed at those prices? nope just replace them all because when 1 goes the rest will soon follow suit. But you'll want to keep the working ones as spares so best to find out wich ones work and which don't. And that just means putting the car in reverse and having someone feel the sensors the working ones will vibrate, the broken ones won't. The only reason to use VCDS is to findout the exact partnumber on the sensors, always replace them with the latest revision. AFAIK the part number for the latest revsion as used on the B7 ends in F.
I'll have a look at new ones / replacements. Local garage said they were £150 each from audi - which has out me off

I’ve replaced two of the original sensors that failed with the cheap eBay ones, all works fine now. Switch the ignition on fully (don’t start the engine) put the car in reverse, go around the back and put your ear to each sensor. The ones that are working will be making a ‘clicking’ sound. The one that’s failed won’t be.

I’ve replaced two of the original sensors that failed with the cheap eBay ones, all works fine now. Switch the ignition on fully (don’t start the engine) put the car in reverse, go around the back and put your ear to each sensor. The ones that are working will be making a ‘clicking’ sound. The one that’s failed won’t be.
I'll make sure not to start it ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: Rob Avant and northpole
Wow, I didn't realise parking sensors click and vibrate etc. Do they pulse out some sort of sonar signal then read the time for it to bounce back?

@Matt275 yes ultrasonic sound waves the controller measures how long it takes for the sound wave to come back... and thus calculates the distance between the sensor(s) and the obstacle hence the reason sensors vibrate/click.

It does work. I've just gone & listened. Both of my outer ones work, & neither of the central ones do. So I'll have to replace them
Wow, I didn't realise parking sensors click and vibrate etc. Do they pulse out some sort of sonar signal then read the time for it to bounce back?

Reactions: Dan_G and Gmac