Soft top mould / mildew cleaning advice

50Five

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I've a 2008 A4 Convertible that needs a bit of TLC. I'm looking for advice regarding the best products to use to remove the mould / mildew. I was initially looking at a circular drill bit extension brush or am happy to go for a handheld brush if better, I'm guessing the brush bristles have to be firm but not to the point of causing damage to the canvas. Also, any cleaning solution product advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading

Last edited:
Given the age, manual cleaning not powered is best as it's not cheap to repair hoods.

Just check out detailing world, I'm sure it's been discussed there allot.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Agreed, power washing is a definite no.

Reactions: NHN
Given the age, manual cleaning not powered is best as it's not cheap to repair hoods.

Just check out detailing world, I'm sure it's been discussed there allot.
I thought as much from the reading I've done, it's more what products are best to use to provide the best result.

I'll check out detailing world.

Thanks

my neighbor has an old merc 2004 CLK convirtible, when he got it the roof needed a good cleanup because of mould, he used household mold remover( one that doesn't contain bleach) let it soak in and washed the lot off with his jet washer lhe than let it dry and used a nubuc product that repels water... this was 4 years ago the roof still is mould free living outside in the elements. including him parking it in a birdpoo spot... ps when he washes the car the birdpoo on the cloth roof comes of like it's on the bodywork. and because the product repels water he hasn't experienced any leakages on the inside either.

might be something you want to ask if it is a good idea but for a home solution... but i can tell you it does work.

my neighbor has an old merc 2004 CLK convirtible, when he got it the roof needed a good cleanup because of mould, he used household mold remover( one that doesn't contain bleach) let it soak in and washed the lot off with his jet washer lhe than let it dry and used a nubuc product that repels water... this was 4 years ago the roof still is mould free living outside in the elements. including him parking it in a birdpoo spot... ps when he washes the car the birdpoo on the cloth roof comes of like it's on the bodywork. and because the product repels water he hasn't experienced any leakages on the inside either.

might be something you want to ask if it is a good idea but for a home solution... but i can tell you it does work.
From what I have been reading on both here & over on Detailing World using a jet washer isn't great due to the age and effect it can have on the rubber seals which as it ages deteriorate. I am looking into an organic product my friends father used on his A4 Convertible of the same age, it comes form a garden centre but as yet I don't have a brand name. Thanks for your input, any and all appreciated.

From what I have been reading on both here & over on Detailing World using a jet washer isn't great due to the age and effect it can have on the rubber seals which as it ages deteriorate. I am looking into an organic product my friends father used on his A4 Convertible of the same age, it comes form a garden centre but as yet I don't have a brand name. Thanks for your input, any and all appreciated.
he only used it to help remove the mould.... he does wash the car with a jet washer still but the roof gets done with a sponge and a bucket, he does rinse it off with the jet washer but the jetwasher nozzle is set on a soft wide spray so it gently rinses the roof.

Reactions: 50Five