Car got broken into last night and nearly stolen. Size of the steering wheel on 2012 S4 Avant?

matt5594

Reaction score
Looking at getting a Disklok but I need to take the measurement of the steering wheel across the middle but I forgot to do that before the car was loaded on the back of a truck and on it’s way to a garage.

Speaking of which, which fuse(s) disable the ODB port? You can probably guess how they got into it..

I use the "small" size of Disklok on my 2011 S4.

I'm sure that you will find that there might even be 2 fuses that can be used to power up these dodgy key generators - I think, Google would help.

I've gone old school and used a physical machined alloy block to close off access to the OBD2 port, I think that it is quite effective, but a right bast**d to refit after using the OBD2 port!

I went for the "tame" silver version of the Disklok, but if I ever needed to buy another, I'd probably go for the hi vis yellow painted one as it stands out better, and so might mean a nasty person walks on without touching your car.

Edit:- I'm sort of surprised that people are still stealing this age of car, but it sort of justifies me still using my port blocker AND a Disklok.

My thoughts exactly, there’s newer cars out there, more powerful ones out there. Can you take a photo of what you mean regarding the ODB port? I’m open to anything right now as the annoying thing is because they programmed a key, mine stopped working and the e-brake was stuck on and I couldn’t move it out of the road, they had gotten about a meter from where it was parked thanks to the aftermarket immobiliser.

Any issue with the small size one scuffing up leather on the wheel etc? The kicker is that I had a Disklok when I had my Subaru but I stupidly gave it away with the car :/

Edit: this information here about the fuses still valid/correct? https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/274952/post-2743501

Last edited:
I'd think that that older info is still correct, I've never tried removing a fuse or two to make sure that all 12V sources had been removed from the OBD2 port.

Marring of the leather, yes it can end up getting marked, but after buying that Disklok, I bought the protector and storage case, and maybe added added some self adhesive Velcro at certain points. The storage case is handy for keeping it from moving around in the boot - although, the Velcro closure strip is stronger than the storage case material - which means if you are a bit grumpy or in a rush to take the Disklok out of its case or fit it into its case - the case material will "open" before the Velcro closure does - this I now know!

I'm away early tomorrow so I'll get details of the port blocker when I get back tomorrow night, I'd think that the one I bought will no longer be on sale - it is German made but there was someone in UK selling them 10>11 years ago.

Edit:- I was wrong, here it is on Amazon! Amazon product
View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/security-device-connector-prevent-keyless/dp/B00XPP6P6K

I then looked for it again using its correct title, ie "OBD SAVER" and there is a video and a link to a UK company that sells it, sounded a lot like the company I bought mine from. Not cheap, but such is life!

Last edited:
The fuse I remove is in the fuse panel on the side of the dash that the passenger door blocks. It's the middle row, second from the top if memory serves. I need to put mine back in to reset the service warning with my scan tool, so I will take a photo.

I lock using only one press of the fob so that it deadlocks the doors and makes the fuse panel inaccessible without the fob. I also have a discreet but visible sticker on the driver's window saying that the OBD2 port is disabled.

Here's a webpage I used in the past

Passenger side, brown panel, fuse slot 11 (terminal 30 diagnostic connector) 10A.

My thoughts exactly, there’s newer cars out there, more powerful ones out there. Can you take a photo of what you mean regarding the ODB port? I’m open to anything right now as the annoying thing is because they programmed a key, mine stopped working and the e-brake was stuck on and I couldn’t move it out of the road, they had gotten about a meter from where it was parked thanks to the aftermarket immobiliser.

Any issue with the small size one scuffing up leather on the wheel etc? The kicker is that I had a Disklok when I had my Subaru but I stupidly gave it away with the car :/

Edit: this information here about the fuses still valid/correct? https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/274952/post-2743501
There is a fabric 'glove' available from DL that will protect the steering wheel, I've used one for the last 3 cars and no damage, I recommend it.

Mike

Reactions: matt5594
Horrible to hear the news mate, makes your blood boil !! It has got me wondering though in terms of security and on a scale of nickability, what are the chances of someone being able to steal an B7 ? worth investing in disk lock, aftermarket alarm/immobiliser or just not worth it . thanks

I lock using only one press of the fob so that it deadlocks the doors and makes the fuse panel inaccessible without the fob. I also have a discreet but visible sticker on the driver's window saying that the OBD2 port is disabled.
I never knew this, is this a thing that’s standard on all Audis? Out of weird ocd habit, I just press the button twice, maybe a few times. Is there an indicator anywhere to know if it’s deadlocked or not, apart from unlocking it then pressing it just once?

Here's a webpage I used in the past

Passenger side, brown panel, fuse slot 11 (terminal 30 diagnostic connector) 10A.
Silly question though, lets say they’re prepared for this and have a person ready on the passenger side with tools and also a spare fuse, if they’ve broken in (either removing the barrel again or breaking a window, with the doors deadlocked (as mentioned above), couldn’t they just pull the handle from the inside to open the passenger side door to then access the panel??

Last edited:
Horrible to hear the news mate, makes your blood boil !! It has got me wondering though in terms of security and on a scale of nickability, what are the chances of someone being able to steal an B7 ? worth investing in disk lock, aftermarket alarm/immobiliser or just not worth it . thanks
I have no idea tbh, I assumed my 2012 was probably old enough that it wasn’t worth stealing, but here I am!!

Wow that thing is expensive!! :(
Hum, possibly over 4 times what I paid for mine back in 2013, but again, I really did feel the need to try to hold onto that car, probably that sort of issue with these cars is the reason why I only use mine for long trips away from home - and it has only just passed 30K miles! We have a 2015 Polo for dodging around locally.

Reactions: matt5594
I have no idea tbh, I assumed my 2012 was probably old enough that it wasn’t worth stealing, but here I am!!
fair enough, I was just thinking how secure mine is, not too worried about the a4 but am about the RS... hope you get it all sorted

I never knew this, is this a thing that’s standard on all Audis? Out of weird ocd habit, I just press the button twice, maybe a few times. Is there an indicator anywhere to know if it’s deadlocked or not, apart from unlocking it then pressing it just once?

Silly question though, lets say they’re prepared for this and have a person ready on the passenger side with tools and also a spare fuse, if they’ve broken in (either removing the barrel again or breaking a window, with the doors deadlocked (as mentioned above), couldn’t they just pull the handle from the inside to open the passenger side door to then access the panel??

I believe that when deadlocked only the fob will unlock the doors. The buttons etc inside shouldn't work.

I believe that when deadlocked only the fob will unlock the doors. The buttons etc inside shouldn't work
I gave it a quick test, locked with a single press of the keyfob whilst sitting inside, couldn’t open the passenger door using the handle (exactly what I want)

Reactions: ninjag