Battery recommendations…

Rob Avant

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
After completing a load more audio upgrades I have realised the drain on my aging Bosch S5 battery has become too much. It’s not holding charge anywhere near as well as it used to. Probably to be expected though as it’s 7+ years old now.

I’ve been considering going with a AGM battery, possible Bosch or Varta. Is anyone running this type of battery on a B7?
I know it’s probably overkill but with the extra drain on the system I thought it might be worth the investment.

Any thoughts appreciated as always :thumbs up:

I used bosch a few times and they were very good but Varta are better but you will pay a premium price .

Reactions: Rob Avant
If you are running a heavy ICE setup there are 2 things you should consider replacing: battery and alternator. Get the biggest AMP and CCA battery (BOSH is very good, Varta is even better) you can get. Also you might not want to go that route at all and get a leisure battery, not only are they made for high peak power drainage, they are also very good at charging quite quickly. all you need to do is check the battery type you got and get one that'll fit into the battery tray (aka measure it) Leisure batteries are advertised with their dimensions, so before you buy you can check if it'll fit. No for the alternator, get the highest amp one you can get. It'll help keep the lot powered and in check.

PS turn the auto lights off, i noticed when working on the car that it uses a lot of power even when the lights aren't switched on.

Reactions: Rob Avant
Cheers for the advice chaps. Think I’m just going to buy a decent ‘wet’ Varta battery. Looking into AGM more I don’t think I’ll need it, plus I don’t want to buy a new charger.
Also I’ll be leaving it on trickle charge quite a bit as it’s not my daily whip.
Already have an uprated alternator, put that in a few years back when the old one died.

Reactions: northpole