B9 The build continues

TallPaul_UK

Reaction score
Just arrived… happy Christmas RS4. Should help keep the temps down once fitted, and yes I will be attempting this myself, so watch this space.
IMG 3113

Reactions: FBF01 and Rob Avant
can anyone tell me how much coolant the B9 RS4/5 takes when drained down? i’ll need to order some to refill this one the intercooler has been installed. G12EVO i believe is the latest.

Tbh I use a 50/50 mix for all cars, unfortunately shady as it is, Audi are doing a ready mix now which is basically the same price but half the actual liquid so to speak, it used to be fully concentrate, but you could still get away imho with a watered down solution as it's good stuff.

Grab 3 bottles try a 50/50 & see how it works in diag temps.

It was g12, then g13+, now afaik it's back to a g12 of sorts, it keeps changing but imho it's all the same stuff, if you can get the concentrated then split it across 2 bottles.

Tbh I use a 50/50 mix for all cars, unfortunately shady as it is, Audi are doing a ready mix now which is basically the same price but half the actual liquid so to speak, it used to be fully concentrate, but you could still get away imho with a watered down solution as it's good stuff.

Very underhanded by the germans. As you say, you used to be able to by a gallon of the G13 concentrate for the same price that they sell the 50/50 mix now. Crooks!

Yeah not cheap stuff. Still not sure what the quantity needed is for a fully drained system so I’ve got 2x 5L pre mixed G12Evo which is the latest VAG stuff.
I Hope these will be enough or I’ll just add a bit of distilled water.

Attachments

• IMG_3118.jpeg
    IMG_3118.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 33
It was g12, then g13+, now afaik it's back to a g12 of sorts, it keeps changing but imho it's all the same stuff, if you can get the concentrated then split it across 2 bottles.

Its not really the same stuff, it is mostly down to the silica levels, early stuff had too much and caused problems, so they took it out and it caused other problems, then they put a bag of the stuff in the header tank and that caused problems too.

How many people do you think use the correct distilled water to dilute the coolant? Evidently some 'waters' did not play well with some of this coolant either and caused more problems so going ready mixed is the obvious way to go most have now gone that way. These modern coolants need to run at a fairly specific concentration and people are always tempted to stretch it.

Direct from Audi
IMPORTANT! Mixture ratio must be observed:
› Not enough coolant concentrate  danger of freezing, corrosion, and boiling.

› Too much coolant concentrate  danger of overheating.

Not as you would think but these modern fluids do not behave like you would imagine and some engine bits like the modern oil (to water) cooler are a bit more picky.

AFAIK post 2019 it is now ready mixed G12evo and no "mit silicat" tanks.

I have no doubt they added a hefty margin to it, like everything else with a VAG logo but I understand it is expensive stuff to make and it is another way of passing on the costs without people noticing (think Toblerone :grumpy:)

You didn't have all these problems with ethylene glycol and it tasted much better :wink new:

This is what you get for using vegan stuff in cars!

Wagner competition intercooler and radiator kit installed and working now. I’m not going to go into details of the install, but I did follow this video which is fairly easy to do.

View: https://youtu.be/gPjAYn9bFEs?feature=shared

IMG 3137

Approx 7.5L of premixed G12evo coolant ‘sucked’ in with the vacuum filling tool, ran up to temp with no issues.

Another easy install, apart from disconnecting the PCV hose… what a sod!

IMG 3152

Reactions: Pinky1959
Maxton Designs lower lip kit going on now, fitted on my own, so the only thing i would say is get some clamps to hold it in place whilst fitting.

Front bumper off again….
IMG 3141

used some 3M UHB tape as well as the supplied fitting kit.
IMG 3142

installed all 14 bolts in the end no just the 2 showing here.
IMG 3147

The fit is very good, and the gloss black is almost indistinguishable from the Mythos black.
IMG 3146

Now on to the other parts….

Reactions: Rob Avant and RS5 JON
Sides ad a slight fitment issue, so I ad to trim them down a bit on the inside, but all good now.

IMG 3176

Ive done a bit of research on different tuners and settled on MRC to do the ECU & TCU next. I have heard good things about them so hopefully this will not disappoint.

Last edited:
MRC did a great job on the car, and i was surprised with the results. Considering its running a stock exhaust with the standard downpipes, cats and a GPF still, it put out 465bhp with the oem map. MRC ECU & TCU tune, and thats now 546bhp, and 777Nm. Needless to say, im very pleased.
D9E7B96B 68CC 43EC BED6 F5E1D4E5B79A

Reactions: RS5 JON and Rob Avant
IMG 3199

More bits just in from the US (cheaper than the uk, even after paying delivery, tax and duties).

- 034 Motorsport oil filter housing
- 034 Motorsport High pressure fuel pump upgrade kit.
The HPFP kit should increase the volume of fuel available to the injectors, and as this was the limiting factor when MRC did the tune, I’ll get it back there for a map tweak afterwards.

Reactions: RS5 JON
Reactions: Carlos85
034 Motorsport HPFP upgrade kit arrived, along with the tool to open the housing. Nice easy job removing the pump, opening it up, swapping out the oem 10mm piston and cylinder for the l slightly larger 11.67mm one. This actually gives a 37% increase in fuel volume.
Quick map tweak and the torque figures are now up from 777Nm to 811Nm so I’m happy with that.

IMG 3204

New piston and cylinder fitted.
IMG 3203

Reactions: Iby_d and Sandra
No multi map option as far as I know, the map works well with the stock down pipe, cats and GPF. No issues at all. I know of another B9.5 RS5 which is stage 3, running TTE720 turbos and still keeping the stock GPF and cats without any issues. That one was done at awesome.
Passed it’s MOT no probs as well, so I don’t really see the necessity to remove the GPF or cats.

thanks for the prompt reply, i've got 1 of the 1st UK Intergrated Engineering FMIC to fit along with there intake parts, but if 550bhp & 800nm is obtainable with GPF that's ideal

Reactions: TallPaul_UK
How did you get on removing the lower bolts on turbo inlet mate ? considering this intake
they came off ok. had to poke a socket set extension bar and bit under the plastic hose to reach the bolts. bit tricky but not impossible.