Hck vs

Dave1123

Reaction score
Hi folks hoping for some technical info if possible. I have an a4 b7 2.0 tdi s line with a brd engine and hck gearbox. Basically I have blown 3rd gear but struggling to find a local hck gearbox but loads of hcf which is also 6 speed 2.0 tdi engine. Can I use the hcf instead of hck???

Reactions: northpole
Production year afaik gear ratios are the same.

Reactions: Charlie Farley and Dave1123
HCF

HCK

check for other fitment issues though such as drive shafts being the same, belhousing fixings points etc.
Just because they are the same internal spec doesn't mean it will just fit , it may do but check all other aspects.

Interesting well I'll soon find out as got a hcf box now but going to put them side by side before putting in.

@Charlie Farley : with production year i meant to say, what production line it came from what year and country built it... not the manufacturer as they are built under VAG license... that's why some gearboxes are identical in every way yet carry different codes.... so if the engine the gearbox came from carries the same code... bellhousing, driveshafts and mounting points will be the exact same... I did work at PON (the VAG importer in the Netherlands) and found out why gearboxes that are completely identical carry different codes... and sometimes it's because they made an internal change to address a common problem... but in those cases they usually change the code completely not just a letter.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
That's what I was thinking can't be that much difference I hope, just all these different codes for engines and boxes and unless you come on sites like this no way for the common folk to know lol I've only paid £100 for the box so not a massive outlay lol hardest part is getting the boxes in and out.

worst case, the bell housing is different... in that case if you are handy enough you can swap the housings over... it's usually just one side but internals dictate more work than you'd like... I've done it before, and can say that when it's summertime and the sun is out it's not to bad a job... but with the weather we are having now... if you don't have a nice dry and warm garage... just replace it with one that has the right bellhousing.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Just remember, nothing is ever that straightforward with anything VAG related, would be nice if it was but don’t be surprised if somethings isn’t .
Best of luck .

I work on the saying, if in doubt, check it out