Rob's revised 2023/24 B7 project car.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Ok chaps, there is a new revised project plan for my old b7 bus.
I know the engine uprating project has been on and off more times than the HS2 project , but progressing forwards nicely now with some enhancements to boot.
This kind of supersedes previous plans as it now incorporates body mods and engine upgrades.
Having looked at all the individual bits I am in the process of completing plus forthcoming mods it seemed a better plan to just do one new thread that covers the lot.

So firstly , bits that I have shelved now either due to costs or just not viable now.

I've scrapped the Recaro refurbishment, the guy wanted more money to do them and wouldn't confirm times, etc so it is a nonstarter now, and to be honest they dont really need doing, so more pennies to allocate to other areas of the old bus.

Leaving the Oz alloy as they are in the original hypersilver, a bit more cash to divert aswell.

A different front bumper was also on the cards again, but same as above , shelved that mod too.

Non-engine parts that are on the cards or currently in progress.

Rear S4 brake upgrade back on the cards
ECS rear carbon valance is now in transit.
New quad tips to suit straight outlets like M3 tips.
New Miltek system .
The door brightwork is being wrapped in satin silver to match roof rails and door mirror covers.
Having my S4 blades repainted properly in brilliant black.
Possibly a front splitter if I can find the right one to suit, or may just refit the LCR one.
replacement gearbox mount and oil change.

Now to the engine upgrades, some parts are just wear and tear items but are worth doing all at the same time but don't really count as upgrades as such.

Clutch / DMF
Cam chain tensioner
Oil pump balance shaft delete kit
Oil pump pickup pipe
Decoke head.
New battery
Larger FMIC
New S3 injectors
HPFP and follower cap
Hi flow cat.
Turbozentrum K04 kit
Remap.

I think thats all, if ive forgotten anything i'll add it on as we go, also with piccy's. :yes:

Given I've been acquiring bits and kits along the way not everything on both lists is needed, but some are sadly but with what I've saved on shelved areas that kinda of levels the playing field again.

My plan is to use the correct S3 injectors, HPFP, larger IC and Miltek system and a good remap to work with the 330BHP turbozenrtum K04 kit so a realistic figure of 400-420 is achievable.

So much to do over the next 6 months, moreso engine wise but hey, i like a challenge and life is pretty boring otherise.

Onward friends.:icon thumright::yahoo::yes:

Reactions: Stu_b7, Rob Avant, norad97 and 4 others
looks like a nice power hike... hope you get the aimed for figures! now what is your current engine pushing?

Ok chaps, there is a new revised project plan for my old b7 bus.
I know the engine uprating project has been on and off more times than the HS2 project , but progressing forwards nicely now with some enhancements to boot.
This kind of supersedes previous plans as it now incorporates body mods and engine upgrades.
Having looked at all the individual bits I am in the process of completing plus forthcoming mods it seemed a better plan to just do one new thread that covers the lot.

So firstly , bits that I have shelved now either due to costs or just not viable now.

I've scrapped the Recaro refurbishment, the guy wanted more money to do them and wouldn't confirm times, etc so it is a nonstarter now, and to be honest they dont really need doing, so more pennies to allocate to other areas of the old bus.

Leaving the Oz alloy as they are in the original hypersilver, a bit more cash to divert aswell.

A different front bumper was also on the cards again, but same as above , shelved that mod too.

Non-engine parts that are on the cards or currently in progress.

Rear S4 brake upgrade back on the cards
ECS rear carbon valance is now in transit.
New quad tips to suit straight outlets like M3 tips.
New Miltek system .
The door brightwork is being wrapped in satin silver to match roof rails and door mirror covers.
Having my S4 blades repainted properly in brilliant black.
Possibly a front splitter if I can find the right one to suit, or may just refit the LCR one.
replacement gearbox mount and oil change.

Now to the engine upgrades, some parts are just wear and tear items but are worth doing all at the same time but don't really count as upgrades as such.

Clutch / DMF
Cam chain tensioner
Oil pump balance shaft delete kit
Oil pump pickup pipe
Decoke head.
New battery
Larger FMIC
New S3 injectors
HPFP and follower cap
Hi flow cat.
Turbozentrum K04 kit
Remap.

I think thats all, if ive forgotten anything i'll add it on as we go, also with piccy's. :yes:

Given I've been acquiring bits and kits along the way not everything on both lists is needed, but some are sadly but with what I've saved on shelved areas that kinda of levels the playing field again.

My plan is to use the correct S3 injectors, HPFP, larger IC and Miltek system and a good remap to work with the 330BHP turbozenrtum K04 kit so a realistic figure of 400-420 is achievable.

So much to do over the next 6 months, moreso engine wise but hey, i like a challenge and life is pretty boring otherise.

Onward friends.:icon thumright::yahoo::yes:
Have you found a Cat ??

Sounds good Rob. I’m not too far behind you with the big turbo project… just need some S3 injectors and I’m ready to roll. Let me know when you’re ready to buy them, could try for a small group discount perhaps?

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Sounds good Rob. I’m not too far behind you with the big turbo project… just need some S3 injectors and I’m ready to roll. Let me know when you’re ready to buy them, could try for a small group discount perhaps?
yep will do Rob.:icon thumright:

Have you found a Cat ??
Not as such Richard, given the somewhat high cost of the 034 HFC unit which I won't be buying again, I just made a few inquiries at an exhaust fabrication firm not far from me.
Gave them the pipe specs and cell spec of the cat , and they can fabricate me a suitable custom down pipe with a 200 cell cat fitted with both lambda sensor ports and fit it to ensure its a perfect fit.

problem solved , just need to organize the miltek cat back sections and new rear tips and it can all be sorted out.
happy days.

Reactions: norad97
I was thinking of ways to reduce under-bonnet heat a bit more, maybe having the exhaust manifold ceramic coated may have a beneficial effect.
It's not that costly either which is an added bonus. :icon thumright:

I was thinking of ways to reduce under-bonnet heat a bit more, maybe having the exhaust manifold ceramic coated may have a beneficial effect.
It's not that costly either which is an added bonus. :icon thumright:
it will have a heat reducing effect but don't forget the biggest source of heat... the turbo....otherwise it is a waste of money...

Not as such Richard, given the somewhat high cost of the 034 HFC unit which I won't be buying again, I just made a few inquiries at an exhaust fabrication firm not far from me.
Gave them the pipe specs and cell spec of the cat , and they can fabricate me a suitable custom down pipe with a 200 cell cat fitted with both lambda sensor ports and fit it to ensure its a perfect fit.

problem solved , just need to organize the miltek cat back sections and new rear tips and it can all be sorted out.
happy days.

That sounds good, do you have any price? I already have Miltek cat back system.

I will have shortly , they want to see the miltek pipework to confirm fitment and then give me an accurate price, approx £250 from there previous reply.

Compared to what’s on offer from other companies, which is not much, it’s a very good price.
Custom 3” stainless pipe from turbo back to first section inc 200 cel etc , it’s a very good price to be honest.

Reactions: northpole
Just a plain cat back pipe without cat or a down pipe are selling at £70 plus , kinda puts things in perspective really.

Compared to what’s on offer from other companies, which is not much, it’s a very good price.
Custom 3” stainless pipe from turbo back to first section inc 200 cel etc , it’s a very good price to be honest.
I agree Rob, seems a good price, like to get mine done as well, ask about discount for group as many of us need a solution.

Reactions: Charlie Farley and northpole
yup after reading all your points i did a search... i forgot everything has gone up in price due to the recession, that at the moment is a decent price.

There may be an opportunity now to change the turbo kit before getting into that part of the project.
As the original kit purchased is still boxed up there is a possibility that it can be exchanged for the next option that has a better spec turbo and bearings fitted, it maynot change the end result that i have in mind but it maybe a better choice from a reliability point of view, and i do like reliability in my cars.
pretty well same spec overall kit but with improved areas like bearings etc.
I'll see what happens with them , not fussed if they wont swap but would be nice if they will.

Reactions: Rob Avant and northpole
Something that is ticking over in my greycells is this.

Ok, this is not a full-blown engine upgrade on the scale of things, let's say just a sensible improvement in certain areas with some essential retrofits to boot.
But, and it is a but, maybe it is worth doing just a few more bits whilst the engine is out and on the stand, I mean, it's a car that is staying here for the foreseeable future so should that dictate a more long term approach to an overhaul.
Do what I have set out plus maybe new pistons and rings or just rings, do the valve guides etc, whatever gets done will only be a big bonus and will extend the reliability for another 100k miles.
I wonder.:yes:

If you have the whole engine out might as well go the whole hog.... you don't have to upgrade everything but, since it's out you might aswell do it in one go...

Everything more than you'd expect in the power department is a bonus ;)

There may be an opportunity now to change the turbo kit before getting into that part of the project.
As the original kit purchased is still boxed up there is a possibility that it can be exchanged for the next option that has a better spec turbo and bearings fitted, it maynot change the end result that i have in mind but it maybe a better choice from a reliability point of view, and i do like reliability in my cars.
pretty well same spec overall kit but with improved areas like bearings etc.
I'll see what happens with them , not fussed if they wont swap but would be nice if they will.

View attachment 271308
What is this kit Rob, do you a have a link please? Looks interesting :yes:

A few more parts arrived today ready for the start.
IMG 7602

Reactions: Gmac and northpole
Cam chain , suction pipe and more gasket due this week.:thumbs up: