Oil leak , PCV? top of engine, breather and oil cap

nalced

Reaction score
Hi,

2014 Audi S3

looking for some advice . i spotted that I had a layer of oil on the breather pipe that goes to the turbo and ontop of the turbo , on removing the engine cover I can see it starts around the PCV breather, some of the camshaft adjustment valves are covered also but the cabling isn't which is odd as I would think if its coming from the breather it would be over the cabling. I've also noticed that around the oil cap is some caked on oil also.

based on the pictures below do you think this is just a breather issue and pressure build up causing oil to come out at the breather pipe and oil cap? would replacing the pvc and breather hose resolve this problem?

I don't have any engine performance issues that I'm aware of.

Attachments

• IMG_20230926_150735.jpg
    IMG_20230926_150735.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 268
  • IMG_20230926_150737.jpg
    IMG_20230926_150737.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 168
  • IMG_20230926_150742.jpg
    IMG_20230926_150742.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20230926_150744.jpg
    IMG_20230926_150744.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 159
Your engine bay looks filthy I'm afraid to say :puke: so it's probably just a build up over time. I've recommend you give it all a good clean with an appropriate cleaning solution such as brake cleaner or similar degreaser then monitor the situation.

I will add the oil cap vapour is common on the EA888 Gen 3 engines and upgraded aftermarket seals are available as I have some on my S3, more details here in my diary. It's been fitted nearly three years now and no oil vapour has appeared since fitting even after subsequent removal/refitting for oil changes.

20210210_162123Small.jpg

cheers for the advice everyone. will purchase the oil cap and I'm going to replace the oil breather and pipe as it's not too expensive to do. will report back in a few weeks if its resolved my oil leak issue.

cheers for the advice everyone. will purchase the oil cap and I'm going to replace the oil breather and pipe as it's not too expensive to do. will report back in a few weeks if its resolved my oil leak issue.
hi, really sorry to revive this, i am in the exact same.position as you but i can't seem to figure out which part i need. there are so many variants that all seem to fit my car when i look on autodoc and when i look on ebay they are the same but says wont fit my car. would appreciate the part numbers or link to where you purchased is possible? thanks

I noticed the same oily film on my breather pipe too. I replaced it with a genuine replacement part about a year ago and it's still clean and dry.