Gear changes in electric mode (A3 8Y tfsi e)

George Catton

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking into getting a A3 8Y TFSI E (2021) but was wondering how does the S Tronic box behave in electric only mode?

From what I've seen/read, the older E Tron (8V) still changed gear while driving in electric only mode. So changes could still be felt.

With this newer car does the gearbox act similar to a CVT where no changes can be felt and it is continuous? the same as a purely electric car.

I will be doing the majority of my journeys on electric power only and want the smoothest experience :calm: Would love to hear from people who own/have driven one of these newer plug in A3s.

Many thanks in advance

I think it does go through the DSG but it is so quiet and smooth, it's impossible to tell.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: George Catton
Ah I see. Only because I've seen others online complain about harsh gear changes even when in EV mode on the previous generation e-tron and Golf GTE. Perhaps this newer generation is different. From videos I've watched you can see the previous A3 changing gears in EV mode and it actually tells you what gear you're in but from what I can see on the current one it doesn't and just shows how much battery power you're using so perhaps it acts as a more conventional EV where nothing can be felt and it is continuous. Hopefully someone can confirm
I think it does go through the DSG but it is so quiet and smooth, it's impossible to tell.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Hi all,

I am looking into getting a A3 8Y TFSI E (2021) but was wondering how does the S Tronic box behave in electric only mode?

From what I've seen/read, the older E Tron (8V) still changed gear while driving in electric only mode. So changes could still be felt.

With this newer car does the gearbox act similar to a CVT where no changes can be felt and it is continuous? the same as a purely electric car.

I will be doing the majority of my journeys on electric power only and want the smoothest experience :calm: Would love to hear from people who own/have driven one of these newer plug in A3s.

Many thanks in advance
I've got a TFSI e and you don't notice any gear change, if anything its much smoother than an auto 35 tfsi which I also drive. I've got the paddle shifts which I often use and same thing never know you've dropped a gear without looking at the dash.

From what I've read the electric motor is direct onto the gearbox so not sure if that makes a difference at all.

Reactions: George Catton
Glad to hear it. It does seem this generation is different to the 8V where the car still drove quite traditionally even when in EV mode with people saying it was noticeable when the car was charging through the gears.

Perhaps it is a different setup then

Glad to hear it. It does seem this generation is different to the 8V where the car still drove quite traditionally even when in EV mode with people saying it was noticeable when the car was charging through the gears.

Perhaps it is a different setup then
I have a 2016 8V A3 e-tron and the gear changes are barely noticeable. It's had regular servicing, and one of the first things I had done after buying was to have a DSG oil change. It can get a little confused at times, especially under hard deceleration, but 90% of the time I have to rely on the display to see gear changes happen.