B8 S5 - Buying help needed please

nickaudi41

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying an S5 - 2012 with loads of miles on it (90,000).

I know some of the common faults but am I mad to think this is a good idea?

It's got the driver select feature and I don't think the gearbox has been serviced (which I will obviousy do).

Any thoughts, should I stear clear and is there much difference between the B8 and B8.5?

From your other posts I assume this refers to a UK car. A 2012 build should have the 2nd generation 0B5 transmission. It was an improvement over the 1st, but the mere fact that there was a 3rd indicates that there were still problems to be fixed. My advice would be to find out for certain if it was ever serviced. If it really has done 90K miles without a transmission service then that may be a risk not worth taking.

Reactions: nickaudi41
From your other posts I assume this refers to a UK car. A 2012 build should have the 2nd generation 0B5 transmission. It was an improvement over the 1st, but the mere fact that there was a 3rd indicates that there were still problems to be fixed. My advice would be to find out for certain if it was ever serviced. If it really has done 90K miles without a transmission service then that may be a risk not worth taking.
Thanks for the response Dippy.

It is a UK car yes.

I’ve found a car that’s done 53k rather than 90k so I’m happy with that. It’s full loaded and has just had a new timing chain replaced and seals etc.

It hasn’t had a gearbox service so that’s the first thing I’ll be doing.

I’ll be picking up up next week so I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks so much for your response.