Pre-sense braking

Revulike

Reaction score
While we're talking brakes again......

Has anyone experienced the automatic braking?

I've had the light flash and a beep, but not sure I trust the car to actually initiate braking.

Yes, once. I was driving on the Autobahn, maybe 140-150 km/h, when some idiot changed lane right into my way all of a sudden. I don't remember if I was using the ACC or not, but the car did an emergency braking. First came the beep and light telling told to brake, then almost immediately it hit the brakes automatically. It also let off the brakes automatically pretty quickly - fortunately, I guess the driver in the next car behind me must have been a bit shocked. The situation itself was so-so, was the emergency braking necessary or not, I would have reacted myself quick enough and with less braking force. At least that was a demonstration of a safety feature.

I never had it actually slam on the brakes for me (yet), but on several occasions the red-notice came up on the dash along with loud beep, but my foot was almost on the brake already. Maybe it's not as trigger happy as my previous car Volvo V40 that I remember that car slamming the brakes 5-6 times on my behalf probably the same time / situation where the A3 only gives the first notice. Didn't dare leave it late to check if it does engage the brake or not. Car doesn't have ACC, but the radar def works!

I might try to arrange a cardboard "pedestrian" to see if mine actually works.

I’ve had it happen on a few occasions. A couple of times were for cars that were exiting from the road and for which I had already decided were going to clear before I got there but my car decided otherwise: the car applies the brakes robustly. I have also felt the car assist in steering around an obstacle. It feels like an instructor’s hand on the wheel.

I have found that, if I already have my foot on the brake as I approach a hazard, that the car is less likely to interfere (I assume that it takes the attitude that if the driver is already taking action, it will hold off from doing so). But I have felt it assist with rapid braking towards a hazard - you can feel the back pressure on the pedal reduce as the car adds braking force.

it’s worth noting that you can set the sensitivity of accident avoidance in the MMI.

Does pre sense work when parking so you don’t bump cars or is it only over a certain speed?

Does pre sense work when parking so you don’t bump cars or is it only over a certain speed?
It would be speed related when the radar thinks you won't stop - Parking sensors activate for parking purposes

I've had the car apply the brakes a few times now, once was a bit disturbing, as I was driving along a city road with cars parked either side, there was a car coming in the opposite direction, and we were approaching a cross roads where no cars are parked, and as I've done probably hundreds of time, I maintained my speed so we could both swing into the left (UK, so driving on the left), pass in the clear area, and both go on our merry way. Unfortunately the car thought we were heading for a head-on collision, and applied the brakes almost stopping me in the middle of the road, which was obviously unexpected by the driver coming in the opposite direction, who then had to do an emergency stop. He probably thought, what's this idiot doing!
Another time, I was driving past some road works on a narrow street, and one of the workers came out the road side of the cones, and although I had enough room to avoid him, the car applied the brakes, that time I didn't have the warning flash up on the dash, just the brakes applied.

I ve had it working a couple of times, one was pretty scary.
I was in a narrow road with cars parked on both sides and there was a left turn. It probably thought i would crash on the parked cars and hit the brakes instantly

Στάλθηκε από το moto g82 5G μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

I never had it actually slam on the brakes for me (yet), but on several occasions the red-notice came up on the dash along with loud beep, but my foot was almost on the brake already. Maybe it's not as trigger happy as my previous car Volvo V40 that I remember that car slamming the brakes 5-6 times on my behalf probably the same time / situation where the A3 only gives the first notice. Didn't dare leave it late to check if it does engage the brake or not. Car doesn't have ACC, but the radar def works!
Oh just other day, it FINALLY slammed on the brakes for me. First time after 27 months! I was closing in on a car that had stopped abruptly entering the Blackwall Tunnel, I did already press the pedal (say 40%) but the car probably thinking, that's not enough, so it pressed more for me (to about 80%) in doing so, literally took the pedal away from me, my foot was in the air, with the pedal further away. Car left about half a car length once stopped. No Hazard lights though. Personally I think it is very late, prefer a tad earlier, but later than like my previous Volvo V40, which was always too early.
Can't remember if the A3 gave the pre-sense warning sound or not when it applied the brakes for me.