tyres: alternative to PS4s

Damo S

Reaction score
As above. I'm currently running Michellin PS4s and whilst they are excellent for grip particularly in the wet, they are a noisy tyre. Are there any suitable alternatives that provide similar grip but with much less road noise? (even if they are expensive).

Thanks

Good year asymmetric 6.
I just put a set on my mini and what a difference. More grip, less noise and a lot more comfortable than the previous runflats/ditch finders that was on it. The wet performance is one of the best I’ve had. The rim protector is also on par with the pzero.
My opinion is based on a 205/45/17 size so not sure if it will be better in the s3 sizes. When time comes I will be looking for a set for my s3.

Good year asymmetric 6.
I just put a set on my mini and what a difference. More grip, less noise and a lot more comfortable than the previous runflats/ditch finders that was on it. The wet performance is one of the best I’ve had. The rim protector is also on par with the pzero.
My opinion is based on a 205/45/17 size so not sure if it will be better in the s3 sizes. When time comes I will be looking for a set for my s3.

Good year asymmetric 6.
Not sure the what happened but double post

Good year asymmetric 6.

Hmm, yeah. Wheel size and perhaps geometry can make a difference. I ran Toyo proxies for years on my old 3.2 quattro (17s) and they were good tyres. The same tyre on my S3 (18s) were utterly awful.

Reactions: AlS3BE
Hmm, yeah. Wheel size and perhaps geometry can make a difference. I ran Toyo proxies for years on my old 3.2 quattro (17s) and they were good tyres. The same tyre on my S3 (18s) were utterly awful.
I don’t think you can go terrible wrong with one of the premium tyres.
realistically looking at those tyre tests they are all within a second or so and stopping distance is within meter of each other so grip/stopping for us average joes we shouldn’t really notice a huge difference in performance unless you track a lot.
if you looking for a quieter tyre then maybe look for a touring tyre rather than a performance tyre. Remember my wife’s old merc had the contis premium contact and they were nice and quiet, grippy too, and the dealer said some of them had a foam inside the tyre to keep them quiet.
I started using Michelin cross climates as winter tyres last year and found them to be a lot quieter than the pzeros on the summer wheels but in the summer heat they struggled with my driving.

Reactions: Damo S
I think the conti premium contact is the one I will go for

Ive had the Continental premium contact 7s for about a month now. Due to knackered and now replacement clutch I havent really pushed it hard in the wet but so far very impressed with them. Less road noise and more comfort than the old PS4s (well worn and probably quite hard). Grip levels seem fine so far, certainly no issues with low gear acceleration in the wet that Ive had with other tyres (not the ps4s), but not had a chance to really push it around wet corners. (and now with the new suspension as well, it feels like a different car to one I was driving a month ago, in a good way).