Golf r vs s3 suspension

AlS3BE

Reaction score
Right. I’ve been looking at this and struggling to find a definitive answer.
I’ve driven a few golf r7/7.5 and when blasting down the back roads it always feels and drives/corners more sure footed than my s3. It feels less twitchy and just goes well.
basically these 2 cars are more or less the same but what has vw done with the golf that’s different to the s3 in the suspension department. Is it different spring rates, rebound etc on the shocks/springs? Is it different anti roll bars front and back? Suspension geometry?
I tried looking at coil overs kits and both cars uses same parts but feels different to drive.
any help appreciated.

Cant give you an answer but interested to see what comes back. I tend to agree. My mates golf R feels different to my S3, much more planted. It does have a reputation as being more of a drivers car than the s3. It would be nice to find a way to fix that, particularly the twitchy handling at speed.

Reactions: AlS3BE
There was a thread on this years ago but can’t find it.

The wheel geometry is different but don’t know about physical spring / damper changes. From what I recall the poster in that thread had his wheel geometry changed from S3 to Golf R parameters and said it felt quite a bit better.

will have another search.
just looking for a definitive answer. Been out on a driving weekend with a few guys up north and I just feel the r has that extra edge and less twitchy especially at speed.
At the extreme end I could go down the route of coilovers and anti roll bars and poly bushing the whole car and the other end get some oe golf r parts to make it a little bit better.
definitely feels the s3 is missing a trick somewhere even though both cars are almost identical.

Audi always used Magnetic charged fluid until recently for their dampers.

Vw golf uses fluid control valve instead to vary the damper rates.

Interesting now in that Audi have adopted the vw damper on the 8Y.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not all golf r had the dcc. It wasn’t a cheap option if I remember right. I’ve driven ones without dcc and it’s still better than the s3. I don’t have mag ride on my s3 so not sure how much better it is to normal like mine.

Tyres..if they aren’t the same, you can’t compare…even with the same tyres, different temps will make a massive difference..

watch this:

his videos are amazing and I had no real appreciation for how different the car would feel with different brands. a different set of tyres will make the same car feel completely different. even down to how twitchy, planted, pointy, etc etc…

Reactions: Sve
The 7 R is the better handling car compared to the s3 8v by a mile .
I wouldn't push my S3 on a twisty road as it doesn't inspire confidence at all .
It surprises me how different they are to say there basically the same car .

Reactions: JohnM100
Seen loads of 8v and Fl 8v with magride the @AlS3BE has a 8v fl without magnetic dampers hence comment

No doubt, but compared with the total number of cars out there, the proportion is low, and we aren’t talking saloons.
Sounds like the sort of argument Jassy would tee up….

Reactions: Jassyo06
No doubt, but compared with the total number of cars out there, the proportion is low, and we aren’t talking saloons.
Sounds like the sort of argument Jassy would tee up….
8V fl Sportbacks with magride where in abundance circa 2016 to 2018 and this did make a big difference to the cars handling not to the standards of the Golf 7/7-5 but to be honest both the S3 and Golf R where aimed at different buyers
The Audi S3 wouldn't take a corner as well as a Golf R but the S3 owner could take pride in the fact his car was far more exclusive on the roads during this time 2015-2018 with a higher residual because the Golf R was as common as muck on uk roads back then, due to dirt cheap personal leasing deals like a £1000 deposit £195@month all with pauper spec as you buy the options on a personal lease.most leased Golf Mk7/7-5 had there mileages turned back as well before their leasing deals expired in order not be charged for excess mileages
Plus the 8v had a far far better interior....Gone are those days

Still don’t have definitive answer.
after some investigation I did find out on some parts manufacturer has following. These were from eibach but other manufacturers uses same/similar sizes.
S3
Front 217mm spring
Rear 277mm spring

golf r
Front 250mm spring
Rear 303mm spring