2014 Audi A3 1.6 tdi engine rattle

Brandino

Reaction score
Noise is quite loud at idle when the car is cold, the auxillary belt was removed and the noise was still there, the cambelt and water pump where changed but it still remains. Anyone had this problem before or could suspect what it is? Kind of sounds like marbles bouncing around and dissapears when the car is up to temp.
Video of noise

Could it be something as simple as the glow plugs? Would make sense for why it happens while cold but goes away when warm.

Could it be something as simple as the glow plugs? Would make sense for why it happens while cold but goes away when warm.
Never thought about that to be honest, Im not even sure where they are located on this engine, never had them changed and the car was on 77k when I bought it, never really had any problems of the car struggling to start

Noise is quite loud at idle when the car is cold, the auxillary belt was removed and the noise was still there, the cambelt and water pump where changed but it still remains. Anyone had this problem before or could suspect what it is? Kind of sounds like marbles bouncing around and dissapears when the car is up to temp.
Video of noise
Your engine sounds normal it is cold start ? the slight knocking noise is normal. I have it .. if the car is older and has certain mileage you will hear it .. I have it and it is no any problem. I heard some ticking noise which can cause tensioner..

Incomplete or lack of combustion on a cylinder will definitely cause a noise if that were the problem.
Not really noise but can cause bit longer crank on cold start..
I had faulty glow plug and I was running car about 2 or 3 weeks with 3 plugs as I was waiting to have new delivered from germany it was ok. The faulty was still in but was throwing errors..
Diesel engine does not need glow plugs to run engine it is just additional heat in combustion chamber..
Diesel engine will run without glow plugs. In fact, many diesel engines do not have glow plugs, and they run. Glow plugs are not an integral part of the diesel engine operating cycle: rather, they are merely a starting aid that some engines are equipped with.

Sure, many diesel cars don’t have glow plugs but if they are there it’s probably for a reason.

I’m not an expert and not claiming to be, but a bad glow plug can certainly lead to engine knocking, which was my initial thought - unlikely, as I said, but not impossible for it to be the cause.

Anyway, we are digressing a bit. I don’t want to take over the entire thread with our discussion of how important plugs are… if you wish to chat about it more feel free to send me a PM.

Reactions: ChatYTB
Your engine sounds normal it is cold start ? the slight knocking noise is normal. I have it .. if the car is older and has certain mileage you will hear it .. I have it and it is no any problem. I heard some ticking noise which can cause tensioner..
My car is currently on 91k miles and the noise hasnt changed since I bought it, I would have thought if it was glow plugs the car would have thrown a code or something like that, but the car is a bit slighish when cold but I thought thats normal really, once warmed up there is no noise or anything.