Q3 2013 Q3 TDI S Tronic Quattro - worth buying?

Leighton82

Reaction score
Hi all,

My partner needs a new car and I've found a 2013 Q3 in an independent garage that's pretty immaculate, priced at £9,950, with a 6 month warranty. It's got a full service history and timing belt was replaced 3 years ago at 67k mileage. Now 105k on the clock. Four new Michelin tyres 2 years ago. MOT record looks sound.

Should I be concerned about the mileage and age if I want to keep it for 5 years? How reliable are these beasts generally if they are well looked after?

I have a 2006 A4 Avant TFSI 2T Quattro, which has been immense tbf.

Advice on the Q3 would be greatly appreciated.

Would be wise to have the car inspected by the AA - they can plug in the diagnostic tool and see if the Q3 is reporting any errors. The Q3 in Quattro form uses a Haldex (an electro-hydraulic clutch) in the rear axle which is activated when ABS brake sensors detect that the front wheels are starting to rotate faster than the rears - by default the Q3 is front wheel drive. Haldex fail when either the oil isn't changed or the filter gets clogged up (or both) - some have a cartridge filter and others where the pump has to be removed and the filter gauze cleaned - you could make this a condition of the purchase and demand a photo of the pump removed as proof. Failure makes a big dent in £1000.

Reactions: Leighton82
The s tronic box needs to have the oil changed every 38k miles. If you don’t have proof of it walk away as otherwise no warranty will cover it. If the mech unit goes (common issue), it’s a £4.5k hit…

Reactions: Leighton82