Question about exhaust valves and ASR module

Luca79

Reaction score
I went test driving an RS3 8Y the other day, completely stock, and I noticed that with car at idle (engine just turned on), the sound was very different when switching from Comfort to Dynamic.
So, I guess the valves are open in Dynamic even at 1000-1500rpm, is that correct?
If that’s the case, in what way does the ASR module help with sound exactly?

Thanks and sorry for the beginner question

Reactions: Daggerit
I went test driving an RS3 8Y the other day, completely stock, and I noticed that with car at idle (engine just turned on), the sound was very different when switching from Comfort to Dynamic.
So, I guess the valves are open in Dynamic even at 1000-1500rpm, is that correct?

Good question.

First off, on the standard setup you can't have the exhaust valves open but not have the engine and gearbox in the 'S' mode with a high idle. With the ASR module you can open them up and enjoy the sound without having to have the engine rev it's nuts off when you don't really want it to.

Second, I've been led to believe that the valves are actually dynamic in operation rather than just open or closed. So even when they're 'open' in Dynamic mode on a standard setup they may not be all the way open and might close slightly under certain conditions. With the ASR module they're 100% open when commanded to.

I don't know anyone with an RS3 8Y near to me to check the difference in Dynamic mode side by side, but I imagine you'd probably hear a bit of a difference if you could set that up.

Thank you so much for such a detailed information!
Was the installation easy for a non-pro without specific tools?

Posted already but here you are.

ASR’s Daniel explaining things.

Yes it’s in German, however keep your eye on the dash L and R monitors which actually show by flashing lights when the flaps open / close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skip forward in the video above to around 10 min mark.

You can see him using Dynamic mode to demonstrate the flap operation and the L & R dash mounted box shows what the flaps are doing.

I can’t understand German, but I guess the story is that even in Dynamic/Performance mode the valves are not fully open, unless at full throttle over 3500rpm

Thank you so much for such a detailed information!
Was the installation easy for a non-pro without specific tools?
As far as installations of these kinds of things go, this one is extremely easy. I'm not sure where you're based, but on my RHD model it was just a case of popping off a couple buts of trim that are held on by clips (plastic trim removal tools are handy for this, but if you have strong fingers you could probably do it without them), undoing one 10mm nut with a spanner, and plugging the connectors in to their relevant colour-coded counterparts on the car. The hardest part was making sure the module and the wires were as tidy and secure as I wanted them to be.

Even referring to the instructions regularly I think it only took me 20 minutes or so. If you did them on a regular basis it would be a 10 minute job easily. :)

I can’t understand German, but I guess the story is that even in Dynamic/Performance mode the valves are not fully open, unless at full throttle over 3500rpm

Lol neither can I but the video gives a proper insight into your original question, as in the video you can see him switch modes and the mode he’s in is clearly displayed in the VC / MMI
From this you can see the Rev counter and Flap behaviour too.

Bit of a side point but quite an interesting video, explains why the valves will be setup to open and close at ‘random’ points.

Reactions: Mike.46, RS03??? and Daggerit
^ Interesting and depressing at the same time :(

Reactions: garethdj

Exactly that, the dynamic valves don’t actually open fully until over 3500rpm with 100% throttle but as soon as you lift off the throttle the valves shut.

ASR they’re just open all the time no matter what. Makes a massive difference