Xenon headlight flickering

ScottishA4B9

Reaction score
Hi all,

All of a sudden my headlight on my 2012 A3 8V Sline turned off and I got a warning on the dashboard. The best day it was working fine but today it has started flickering.
Is anything I can do?
A new Unit is £899+ and a used one £400-500.

I would attach a video but this website still seems stuck in the early 2000’s and doesn’t let you post videos!!

Likely the bulb or ballast failing. If it goes a bit yellow/pink then it’s the bulb.

They have done well to last this long.

The bulb is replaceable so you don’t need a a whole new headlight unit. The bulb is a PITA to get access to remove.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Likely the bulb or ballast failing. If it goes a bit yellow/pink then it’s the bulb.

They have done well to last this long.

The bulb is replaceable so you don’t need a a whole new headlight unit. The bulb is a PITA to get access to remove.
@JohnM100 Thanks mate.

I believe the part number is: N10721806.
The thing is, I’m not sure if the type of bulb to get. They all have different model numbers on the likes of eBay.
Any idea?

So now I’ve established it’s a D3S bulb I need I just need to decide what I bulb to get: 4300/5000/6000.

what do people recommend?

If you are about to replace only one bulb, get the 4300K, for color match. If you buy a pair, get the 5000K.
But be ready for the scenario of ballast failure, flickering usually does not happen due to bulb