Potholes

Auscyuk

Reaction score
Hi all

Hit this one at about 10mph do you think it’s done any damage to the suspension as there was a sort of thud sound when I went over it

But more generally how does this cars suspension hold up to pot holes

Thanks

a3535bda26d2097e17e2a2b79461661f.jpg

Hi all

Hit this one at about 10mph do you think it’s done any damage to the suspension as there was a sort of thud sound when I went over it

But more generally how does this cars suspension hold up to pot holes

Thanks

a3535bda26d2097e17e2a2b79461661f.jpg
Hard to tell from the pic but pay attention to the steering wheel straightness, drifting offline when on the flat and pulling under braking. I'd have a good check round your wheel too. Doesn't look too square edged but you never know.
I've not hit anything yet so can't comment on robustness of the suspension.

Thanks for that, I’ve checked the wheels and the arches etc but can’t see anything but will pay attention to the steering. The pothole wasn’t that deep to be honest about 2cm or so but still not a small pot hole and it made a thud when I went over it. It’s wide enough for the tyre not to fall into it and sort of go over it so hopefully that’s a positive. Nasty roads

Just cost me £495 to have my 4 wheel alignment done also that includes recalarating the camera with has to be done after alterations to the suspension

Here’s another angle where you can see the depth a bit better.

2492587d9ca689d40b5ec466c281d530.jpg

I used to use lower tyre pressures than the book said, these days I go a couple of psi higher (or use the 4 people pressures) to try and avoid wheel/suspension damage although I still get the tyre rubber marks on the wheel edge after I miss seeing a pothole

Reactions: Auscyuk
As there are markings around it that means the relevant authorities are aware and you should be able to claim for any damage caused, if any.

Reactions: DangerMouseUK and Auscyuk
I went back today and measured it LOL what do you think ? 3cm from bottom to top.

I’ll pop an email to the council and see what they say so thanks for that tip.

8fc8ed9e27784d64e7b3bd4c06864beb.jpg

Reactions: DangerMouseUK
At 10mph I really doubt there would be any damage to your wheel from a pothole 3cm deep even though the lip by the tape measure looks a bit nasty it's still not tall enough to do anything I think.

As someone else said if it's already painted the council know about it therefore if there was a potential claim for damage it would be more likely to go through.

Personally, I don't know what the fuss is about. The pothole looks no wider than the white line and the tyre/wheel is wider than that anyway. Where I live, some of the potholes have to be the size of dustbin lids before the council will sort them. Especially after the winter months :shrug:

Reactions: Southall87, RichK and DangerMouseUK
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: kayemill and DangerMouseUK
Council won't pay for anything unless they are provided with cast iron evidence of Damage & Subsequent repair. So receipts for broken/repaired/requiring parts needed. So at the very least, You would have to pay the Gin Palace for an inspection.

I did a tyre a few years ago on a Car I had bought about a Month before. As I was in no medical condition to go crawling around to thoroughly inspect the Tyre, I advised that there was 4mm approx Tread depth left. As I like Matched tyres I replaced it with a Direct (Mid spec) replacement. They would not pay for a new Tyre as their argument was it was not a new tyre that was damaged. I got £48 iirc against a £72 tyre. Too honest for my own Good me.......

The Thud was probably just off the Rear Bump Stops, I'd personally put it down to experience & crack on......

Probably not worth worrying about.

Reactions: DangerMouseUK
A couple of years ago in Scotland we had horrendous potholes, but over the last year or two I can't think of the last time I seen/hit one. They must be doing something right I guess.

Reactions: IanL-RS3 and DangerMouseUK