Washing machinss

AlS3BE

Reaction score
Since we talk about cars mainly here so thought something different for you guys.
Looking for recommendations for a washing machine as mine broke last week. Luckily I have 2 in my house but other one is small so can’t take big loads like bedding and stuff.
want one that has good life expectancy. My broken one is just 6 years old and a rather expensive Samsung machine which I hoped would last longer, planned obsolescence by Samsung just outside warranty. There’s no point fixing it as the parts and labour equates to over £330 for a replacement circuit board, could be more if it needs other parts. My other washing machine is a zanussi washer/dryer and at half the price of the Samsung it’s lasted well over 10 years.
While it worked it was good and very quiet so looking for something similar, definitely quiet.
Not too fussed about crap like Wi-Fi connection or smart things related. It’s a washing machine *** so unless the Wi-Fi functions fills it and folds the clothes I’m not interested.
any suggestions welcome.

Bosch are decent, just don’t go for the really cheap ones. I’m not sure if it’s still the same but it used to be the top spec models were made in Germany and the cheaper ones in Italy.
Series 6 and above seem to be good, just bought one for the mother in law.
We’ve had the equivalent of this for nearly 10 years and no issues at all (touch wood)

Reactions: AlS3BE
weve had a candy for years and its been brilliant, and it gets used daily 7 days a week.

We had a Bosch for over 5 years, never missed a beat.

Just had a complete new kitchen and moved to Neff everything (same group as Bosch / Siemens)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AlS3BE and Jassyo06
more importantly, what is your budget as that will control more specific brands etc.

more importantly, what is your budget as that will control more specific brands etc.
£4-500. Happy to spend more for something good but not for useless features like Wi-Fi.
long lasting is something I’m looking for but hard to tell in reviews.
last Samsung was £6-700 and lasted under 6 years.
the one in my rental property just died and that lasted 14 years.

Long lasting, thats a how long is a piece of string really.

depends on useage and water hardness, we have really hard water so unless it is connected to water softener it does shorten the lifespan a fair bit.
In our household it gets used once a day minimum, twice in winter easy, 7 days a week, from a manufacturer calculation our machine will be worn out within 2 years tops, it is still working after 5 years and touchwood no issues at all.

Long lasting, thats a how long is a piece of string really.

depends on useage and water hardness, we have really hard water so unless it is connected to water softener it does shorten the lifespan a fair bit.
In our household it gets used once a day minimum, twice in winter easy, 7 days a week, from a manufacturer calculation our machine will be worn out within 2 years tops, it is still working after 5 years and touchwood no issues at all.
So which one do you have?
Water is soft where I am. Mine has similar usage to yours and it was circuit board that fried nothing mechanical from what it looks like but circuit board is £250 and labour pushes that to over £330 so at that money I might as well buy a new one with warranty rather than fix in the hope it works with no warranty.

we have tried a lot of the years but thus far, Candy have been really good, a very underrated machine.
Not full of high-tech stuff that will never be used, none of this it will txt you at your FB page to say it'ss done etc.
Just does what it says on the label, and it does its well.

but that just our experience.
I wouldn't buy a german domestic appliance anymore to be honest, overpriced and overrated.

If you were to really look into things you'd find that a lot are all made in the same factories, just with different chassis fittings but the internals are the same, oh prices vary wildy for the same machine at the end of the day.

We bought a logic a while back as a stand-in, only a cheapy at £300 , but i found out later it was the same as a Hotpoint , just a different plastic panel/lid but cost £450 for the same machine and both were rubbish.

The one thing german machines have in their favour is bearing quality, they do use good bearing etc so those bits do last , otherwise pcb's and buttons etc are just as likely to fail as any other machine.

We bought a logic a while back as a stand-in, only a cheapy at £300 , but i found out later it was the same as a Hotpoint , just a different plastic panel/lid but cost £450 for the same machine and both were rubbish.

I think indesit, hotpoint and some others are all the same brand bar the label. Noticed that with my old dishwasher when I looked up the parts to fix it and they all used the same parts down to the cutlery basket inside.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
The one thing german machines have in their favour is bearing quality, they do use good bearing etc so those bits do last , otherwise pcb's and buttons etc are just as likely to fail as any other machine.

i think that’s the problem. Mechanically they will probably all last but these electronic bits seems to fail and very expensive to replace costing as much as the machine itself.
all these fancy new tech messaging your phone and stuff like that is unnecessary and will fail. Possibly programmed to fail outside warranty.
I also don’t think things like saving electricity or water is priority either as long as it washes well and lasts. Plenty of water in Scotland anyway :wink: