S4 frnt discs and pads. Easy to do at home?

SonicDeathmonkey

Reaction score
Looking to replace the front discs and pads on my S4. Anyone got any recent experience of costs for the parts?

Also, is this something I can do at home, or best left to a local garage with me supplying the parts?

not done mine yet but we swapped Clives for a B7 RS4 set up and it was a doddle, only snag we had was getting the actual calliper bracket off the bottom of the leg. we just nipped to the local charlie browns or whatever and bunged 'em a fiver beer money to slacken them for us

After doing the rears on our B6 I'll definately be doing the fronts on my B5 2.8Q. The parts are about £80 from german & swedish and all you need is basic tools

Fronts are pretty straightforward on VW\Audi. Did the fronts on my 1.8T recently, took about 1.5hours not rushing. Not done the S4 yet but don't think its too different.

Defo give it a go mate its very easy to do as long as things are not rusted even then a good hammer, or long bar will shift them :)

Stock S4 has 1 pad on each side of the caliper/disc, ie 4 pads in total for the fronts.

I did the missuses golf last year and needed a piston windback tool, is this not needed on the Audis?

well i dont know what the hell is on mine then, but ther are 4 pads on each side!!!!

only one other owner, a comany car, so I can't believe they would have had the front discs upgraded.

Are you including the rear pads as well as that would make 4 per side.

Nope. The front discs have 4 pads on each side. 2 sets of two oneach side.

I know that I did not change from standard and i cant think why a company car driver would.

Are we sure the standard S4 only has two pads on each front disc???

Looking on ETKA the RS4 has only two pads per side as well.

You got any pics of these brakes ?

SonicDeathmonkey said:
Nope. The front discs have 4 pads on each side. 2 sets of two oneach side.

I know that I did not change from standard and i cant think why a company car driver would.

Are we sure the standard S4 only has two pads on each front disc???

your right they have 4 pads on each side "of the car" yes there are 2 pads each side of the disck so in total 4 pads...
i think the way you wrote it has confused peeps

but yes they are standard s4 by the sound's of it
peice of cake to do at home :icon_thumright:

Yeah, I could not see why the previous owner would have changed them.

Are these different to the standard a4? Do ay other a4's have 4 pads on each of the front discs?

Can anyone recommend a decent pad? ebc red/green stuff?

Also, gsf or vag-parts for the dics themselves?

thanks

Just had quote back from vag parts. They sai:

I beleve your car has the UFO brakes, these are £172.04+vat per disc and £82.49+vat for the pads. Postage will be £8

172 plus vat PER DISC!!!!!!!!!

and whatthe hell are UFO brakes?

UFO = internal caliper brakes, more surface area apparently enabling bigger discs on standard wheels. ****** ugly looking things.
ufo2.jpg

So are the calipers normal or inside out?
If you do a Google search the UFO's only seem to come up on older Audi 200's and original quattros, although there was some hits that mentioned S6's.
Give your local German & Swedish a call they'll know which ones they are.

the online gsf shop sttes:

62381 BRAKE DISC-VENTED 321mm A4 2.7T S4 10/00> 47.50

which sounds a bit better than 170 per disc!!!

cant believe noone on here has changed the discs on an S4!!!