Turning off coasting in comfort mode permanently

haades

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought A3 limousine (2022) 35tfsi with stronic and I love it. Only issue I have, that the coasting mode is turning on in every driving mode except Dynamic when I have transmission in sport mode. I don't want my engine to turn off and on every 30 seconds when I lift my foot from pedals. I want to drive through city without start stop and without coasting.

I've red somewhere, that this is different in some regions, so I was wondering if it would be possible to change region in car settings to turn it off (similar when I changed region in my Skoda Octavia 4 to turn on rear lights during day). I'm also considering going to someone with diagnostic tools to try to turn it off.

Have anybody found out how to turn this off in Comfort or Auto mode?

Hi, I just bought A3 limousine (2022) 35tfsi with stronic and I love it. Only issue I have, that the coasting mode is turning on in every driving mode except Dynamic when I have transmission in sport mode. I don't want my engine to turn off and on every 30 seconds when I lift my foot from pedals. I want to drive through city without start stop and without coasting.

I've red somewhere, that this is different in some regions, so I was wondering if it would be possible to change region in car settings to turn it off (similar when I changed region in my Skoda Octavia 4 to turn on rear lights during day). I'm also considering going to someone with diagnostic tools to try to turn it off.

Have anybody found out how to turn this off in Comfort or Auto mode?
What is it that you don’t like about the engine starting and stopping?

It’s worth noting that you paid quite a lot extra for the coasting function; it saves fuel and, in my experience, once you are accustomed to it, it’s barely noticeable.
I recommend taking a while to try it out, rather than trying to force it off. It’s pretty seamless.

Reactions: Mado97 and STmichael
What is it that you don’t like about the engine starting and stopping?

It’s worth noting that you paid quite a lot extra for the coasting function; it saves fuel and, in my experience, once you are accustomed to it, it’s barely noticeable.
I recommend taking a while to try it out, rather than trying to force it off. It’s pretty seamless.
Don't get me wrong, I use it a lot when I'm outside the city and I like the function. I just don't like it while driving in city or in underground garages to turn off and on 30 times in 10 minutes.
I would just like to have it in efficiency mode and have a control over it like with start stop.

I guess I still have my doubts whether is good for the engine to turn off and on so many times..

Don't get me wrong, I use it a lot when I'm outside the city and I like the function. I just don't like it while driving in city or in underground garages to turn off and on 30 times in 10 minutes.
I would just like to have it in efficiency mode and have a control over it like with start stop.

I guess I still have my doubts whether is good for the engine to turn off and on so many times..
It’s worth bearing in mind that the MHEV system fitted to the S-Tronic cars has much more in common with full Hybrid cars than it does with conventional start/stop cars which run off a normal 12V battery. The battery, motor and engine are designed for a lifetime’s worth of starting and stopping. The Li battery (fitted under one of the front seats) combined with the motor/generator are powerful enough to start the engine instantantly (coupled with the fact that the motor is used to stop the engine at the precise point for easy restart). And the engine stays lubricated whilst stopped. If you listen out for it, you can hear that the engine restart after an auto stop sounds different to a start from cold (the former is pretty much instant whereas the latter takes slightly longer.)

A final thought is that city driving and underground carparks are two places where the start/stop system seems particularly useful, in terms of reducing exhaust emissions in crowded / confined spaces.

All that said, in my car the Auto-Start/Stop can be disabled using the button with the symbol that looks like an A surrounded by a circle. Speaking as a engineer, I’ve never disabled the function and have no concerns over its impact on the life of the engine. (If anything, it reduces wear and tear by reducing the amount of time that the engine runs for.) The manual advises that the button is intended for use when driving through water (p109).

Last edited:
I must admit, when i'm crawling in traffic, and usually stopping for no more than a couple of seconds, before needing to set off again many times, i just press the start stop button (to disable it) so engine stays on. all other situations, i just let it do its thing and let it shut off whenever it sees fit.

I must admit, when i'm crawling in traffic, and usually stopping for no more than a couple of seconds, before needing to set off again many times, i just press the start stop button (to disable it) so engine stays on. all other situations, i just let it do its thing and let it shut off whenever it sees fit.
There’s something in the manual about this. The car takes into account how hard and for how long you apply the brakes when deciding whether or not to turn off the engine. A light touch for a short amount of time is more likely to leave the engine running, as the car will assume you are stopped only momentarily. Holding the brakes on for longer will let the car know that you a stopping for longer. (This works best with AutoHold enabled).