Dead Sub

Tastyterrier

Monkey Trainer
Reaction score
My sub and rear speakers have just stopped working. I had to unclip the connector in the boot the other day, when I connected it back it worked for a bit before becoming intermittant. Today I unclipped the connector again, spayed some contact cleaner in, bent all the connection tabs back in and re-connected it all again. Now it doesn't work at all!!! I've tried whiggling the cables about to see if there's any loose connections but no luck.

Is there a fuse somewhere for the rear speakers/sub? Been through the fuses in the cabin but none are listed for the rears. Ay ideas guys??

You need to check it's getting perm live and 12v remote on live when the HU is on. Use a 12v testing screwdriver to check the wires detailed below (fat red wire & white with black stripe). If the lives are working then you'll need to take the unit out and check the wiring inside.
A3subloompinouts.jpg

You can pick up a replacement sub on ebay for £30, or better still use it as an excuse to upgrade to a stealth sub for around £300 and transform the sound in your car.

Cheers Andy, I'll give that a blast tomorrow...but for now it's pub time!!

BTW, any chance you have one of these diagrams for a Bose system? Reason being I have a Bose sub hanging around.

You can easily replace the duff one for the Bose model, but it won't power the rears as the Bose setup has a seperate amp for the cabin speakers, so the amp inside the sub is just for the sub. It's got twice the power so should be an improvement, but still resides in the same tupperware enclosure so not fantastic.
Here's the Bose pin out:
BosePinouts.jpg

You'll need to make up a small adapter as the plugs are completely different, or try to extract the pins you need from the Bose plug.

Doesn't seem to be any live going to the sub, is their a fuse somewhere other than the usual place?

No idea, I assumed it got it's power from the same source as the radio, but obviously not if the radio works.
Try using a temporary feed from the cigarette lighter onto the perm live and see if it springs into life. Also when you tested it ensure you use a good ground on the chassis of the car as the ground on the sub connector could be duff.