Audio Underwhelming?

I have you agree, I'm in a Model Y now and the sound system is night and day better than the RS3 was. Not even tweaked the settings yet either. It's ridiculously rich and all bass ranges are covered with no drop-off.

Mind you, miss the 5 pot!!
Something like White Wedding on Spotify Premium is a great demo track.

Reactions: RSt3ve
I have you agree, I'm in a Model Y now and the sound system is night and day better than the RS3 was. Not even tweaked the settings yet either. It's ridiculously rich and all bass ranges are covered with no drop-off.

Mind you, miss the 5 pot!!

Agreed ... for a standard fit system, it is superb isn't it.
No B&O no Bose, just sounds great.

Reactions: RSt3ve
I was hugely disappointed with the B&O in my 8Y considering I spec'd it with it because I do like good quality audio. I think Audi really need to address it going forward as it is sub standard at best. I've not been able to compare it to the standard system in the 8Y RS3 but I'd say it (B&O In the 8Y) sounds no different to the standard system that was in my 8Y S3.

Stock with the stupid virtualization it sounds like garbage, removing all effects fix a lot of things but the annoying thing is that when you open a windows, the bass just goes so stronger, quite annoying...

Not checked for a subwoofer in the boot yet... but I have noticed that DAB is alot more "bassy" than anything on Spotify. So possibly a Spotify / Android Auto issue.

I agree with the general consensus that the B&O system in the 8Y is poor. The 8V sounded much better, as does my wife’s Q5. No matter how much I adjust it, I just can’t seem to get it ‘right’

Had a play with the equaliser settings in the spotify app and it seems to help, still not great though.

There is a sub... sounds good enough with yer heed in the boot. Just doesn't seem to get into the cabin.

Can also hear the vibration / rattling at the rear quarter.

May have to investigate further now i know that rattling is there.

The FLAC files on my USB-C stick sound a lot better than Spotify via Apple Play. Not as convenient though. B&O in my 8 V S3 Hatch sounded amazing. Definitely not in the same league on the 8Y but it has improved a little bit with use.

Reactions: Magix
As noted it is not a great system, especially compared to the 8v but why do the speakers rattle so much.
is it poor speakers or just bad panels they are mounted in vibrating ?

There is a sub... sounds good enough with yer heed in the boot. Just doesn't seem to get into the cabin.

Can also hear the vibration / rattling at the rear quarter.

May have to investigate further now i know that rattling is there.

The rattling from the Sub is classed as ‘normal’ there’s a TPI about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Angry
Reactions: IanL-RS3
The rattling from the Sub is classed as ‘normal’ there’s a TPI about it.

what is 'normal' about it ? :tearsofjoy:
if my home cinema sub rattled I wouldn't class that as normal.
It vibrates yes, but it doesn't make a rattling sound which is distracting from the actual bass thud.

Reactions: 8YARWY
It vibrates yes, but it doesn't make a rattling sound which is distracting from the actual bass thud.

this is Audi after all mate

• Haha
Reactions: davc and Snake Pliskin

Sorry Glenn I’m referring to the vibration caused by having the sub in that new location, it vibrates the plastic vent, and that is what Audi refer to in the TPI I’ve seen.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
The B&O system in my old S5 was fantastic. I will say this B&O on the 8Y sounds much better with the 3D equalization completely off.

I have noticed that with my bang & olufsen when I balance backwards it is heard much less than forwards, maybe half or less volume, is this normal? I had that problem on my focus rs mk3 too and they sort of fixed it at the dealer with an update or something. I only listen in front and to listen the same in front and back I lose half the volume by giving a lot of prominence to the quiet rear speakers.

I have mine balanced to the rear and I hear only a very slight change in volume.

Well, I have a problem, to listen to the back I almost have to leave it all the way back and the volume drops a lot.

I have noticed that with my bang & olufsen when I balance backwards it is heard much less than forwards, maybe half or less volume, is this normal? I had that problem on my focus rs mk3 too and they sort of fixed it at the dealer with an update or something. I only listen in front and to listen the same in front and back I lose half the volume by giving a lot of prominence to the quiet rear speakers.
Only a possibility, but check the focus isn't set to front while you're trying to bias it to the rear otherwise the volume will drop a lot because it already makes it quieter in the back on purpose and then you're taking volume away from the front as well.

Asked the tech to see if he could stop the door card rattle when in for service today, more prominent when I’ve got loud bassy music on… basically just said no mentioned the TPI said it’s a generic one but because the whole card rattles there’s nothing he could do…

I'm jumping in from the A6 forums here, but to add my tuppence worth - I recently bought a 2010 S-line and whilst the sound is good, it is also underwhelming, lacking deep bass + top end clarity and even a bit boomy.
Compared to my older generation 2004 A6 Sport (Bose system I think), that was much better, awesome in fact. But it had a boot-sub which the newer one hasn't. Going backwards and downwards then with with the stock sound systems.

The FLAC files on my USB-C stick sound a lot better than Spotify via Apple Play. Not as convenient though. B&O in my 8 V S3 Hatch sounded amazing. Definitely not in the same league on the 8Y but it has improved a little bit with use.
Confirmed, audio files through USB sound much much better. I usually don't use audio streaming, so for me it's completely ok to use USB.
I was torturing my ears with Bluetooth and Android Auto on B&O and Samsung S23 for about 3 months and was so upset and disappointed with sound quality.
I'm so glad it's over now.

The B&O system in my old S5 was fantastic. I will say this B&O on the 8Y sounds much better with the 3D equalization completely off.

Totally agree with this.
I had a 2013 S5 with B&O and the sound was terrific.
My 2016 8v B&O was good but not as good as in the 2013 S5.
My 2022 8y B&O was a big drop off from the 8V, so the quality has definitely got worse as times has gone on.
No doubt building to a lower price point too.
Also confirm sound over bluetooth didn't sound as good as plugging in my ipod and streaming direct from that.

Confirmed, audio files through USB sound much much better. I usually don't use audio streaming, so for me it's completely ok to use USB.
I was torturing my ears with Bluetooth and Android Auto on B&O and Samsung S23 for about 3 months and was so upset and disappointed with sound quality.
I'm so glad it's over now.

Have noticed the audio quality is better when listening through DAB also, but haven't tried files through USB. This is pretty inconvenient for me though as I always stream through spotify.

Have noticed the audio quality is better when listening through DAB also, but haven't tried files through USB. This is pretty inconvenient for me though as I always stream through spotify.
The audio in this car is absolutely terrible. Like others have said, cars dating back 20 years ago had better sounding stereos. Yeah you can tweak it to sound slightly better than ****, but a car costing this much should not have a stereo that sounds this crap. I could buy a £50 DAB radio off Amazon that sounds a stack better than this.

The stereo in my Maserati Ghibli was WAY worse than the one in the 8Y. Amazing they had one that bad in a car that cost that much. I guess not too make car makers put too much into stereos these days.

Had B&O in my 8V S3, now have B&O in 8Y RS3.
In my opinion the older system has an advantage, but still the new one isn’t bad.
It sounds a bit less full and balanced now, but it’s possible that with some break-in time it will become very similar

Had B&O in my 8V S3, now have B&O in 8Y RS3.
In my opinion the older system has an advantage, but still the new one isn’t bad.
It sounds a bit less full and balanced now, but it’s possible that with some break-in time it will become very similar
We all thought the same regarding break in time, but it's still awful a year later. Sound system in my van is better as is the standard audi system.

We all thought the same regarding break in time, but it's still awful a year later. Sound system in my van is better as is the standard audi system.
Come on, how can the B&O be worse than standard audio setup?
Try removing surround and 3D effect, and moving the balance a little more to the front (say ear level).
Once setup that way I’m not finding it bad.
Still, the 8V was punchier and much louder (sounds like it has 30/40% more power)

Come on, how can the B&O be worse than standard audio setup?
Try removing surround and 3D effect, and moving the balance a little more to the front (say ear level).
Once setup that way I’m not finding it bad.
Still, the 8V was punchier and much louder (sounds like it has 30/40% more power)
Trust me I’ve tried fiddling with it all, I’m a bit of an audiophile. Also, the sound system in my S3 8Y sounded better.

Reactions: Frankel
Having had mine nearly a week, I can confirm it's shyte.

I have a reference tune I use in cars to set them up which is Billy Idol White Wedding.

The Tesla plays this perfectly as is, the system in there is excellent.

So the settings I got to to try and get close where (90% sure)

Treble +3
Bass +5
Sub +4
Front Biased
Surround off
3D off
Speed volume off.

This was through Spotify on CarPlay and to be fair it sounded ok. Flat as a witch's tit with stock settings.

Reactions: Daggerit
Trust me I’ve tried fiddling with it all, I’m a bit of an audiophile. Also, the sound system in my S3 8Y sounded better.

I wouldn't call myself an audiophile as such but I built these from scratch including winding my own coils for the crossovers I designed (3 crossovers in each and 8 or so coils) :)

InSitusideview

Reactions: NevMan, Chasriff, RS03??? and 3 others
Having had mine nearly a week, I can confirm it's shyte.

I have a reference tune I use in cars to set them up which is Billy Idol White Wedding.

The Tesla plays this perfectly as is, the system in there is excellent.

So the settings I got to to try and get close where (90% sure)

Treble +3
Bass +5
Sub +4
Front Biased
Surround off
3D off
Speed volume off.

This was through Spotify on CarPlay and to be fair it sounded ok. Flat as a witch's tit with stock settings.
I’ll try these. When you say front biased you mean all the way to the front?

I've given up tweaking it. You can't polish a terd.

Reactions: 8YARWY