Crash bar sensor. OEM to aftermarket RS3 grill

Goalmaster6

Reaction score
Hi all,

As per the title, I was just wondering where people mount the centre crash sensor on an aftermarket RS3 grill? Taken my bumper off today, expecting a pretty straight forward change, but was anything but straight forward. Ended up putting the bumper back on and abandoning it, until I had asked some professionals on here.
Have attached some pictures, obviously my main concern here is if I mount it wrong, I don’t want the car to think it’s in a crash and blow all the airbags off in my face.

i’ve attached a photo. This is the sensor that sits behind the number plate on the standard OEM s3 8v grill.

any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• 77E0F333-DCBE-4085-B674-E98662E7733D.jpeg
    77E0F333-DCBE-4085-B674-E98662E7733D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 198
It is nothing ti do with the airbag it is for pedestrian safe if you hit a person your hood will go up. I did that before 2 years and i don't have a problem
5776595a704e225eef7e3dd7cdbda0ae.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

It is nothing ti do with the airbag it is for pedestrian safe if you hit a person your hood will go up. I did that before 2 years and i don't have a problem
5776595a704e225eef7e3dd7cdbda0ae.jpg

Hi there,

many thanks for your reply. It is pleasing to know that isn’t for the airbag system, I was concerned when i see that.
Did you make a custom bracket? Mine doesn’t

Will be interested to hear if others have done the same thing too

I'd need to check, but it more than likely does connect to the airbag module, given the yellow connector, so its important to either decode this feature or transfer to a new grill.

I'd need to check, but it more than likely does connect to the airbag module, given the yellow connector, so its important to either decode this feature or transfer to a new grill.
Do you think it would be fine to secure behind the numberplate holder using double sided tape and tie wraps so it can’t move anywhere? Can’t see any other easy way to make the change if not, there isn’t another place I can think to mount it.
Online videos don’t always seem to have the centre crash sensor, just a left and right from what I can see. If it can be coded out then even better.. is this something you can do in VCDS NHN?

Hi there,

many thanks for your reply. It is pleasing to know that isn’t for the airbag system, I was concerned when i see that.
Did you make a custom bracket? Mine doesn’t
Yes i made a custom bracket and there are some aftermarket rs3 grills with a hole for the sensor