Rear interior light types, interchangeable?

NM07

Reaction score
My current rear interior light is the single dome light like this:

s-l1600.jpg

I'd like to switch it over to this version:

s-l1600.jpg

Does anyone know if they are interchangeable?

I've not tried the swap as I have the latter unit but they are both the same size.
the only difference being your current lamp is a fixed output solution so it is on and shines down across the back seat area, whereas the latter has dual bulbs that are switchable per side so you have a more versatile lighting arrangement.
they both come on together when you open either door or can switch on /off as required in the car.
No reason why you can't swap over.

Reactions: NM07
Yes - quite a common upgrade.

Thanks chaps :thumbs up: Ordered this, comes with the front with the red ambient light module included and the switchable sided rear :yahoo:

s-l1600.jpg

Needs a clean up but that won't be a problem!

The red downlights are pretty poor to be honest, and a lot do fit brighter solutions.
I had my bus for a couple of years before realising the lights shinning down..lol

Reactions: Jamsmoo
I'm only after something really subtle, anything too bright I find distracting so hopefully they will fit the bill nicely :smile:

you won't notice them there chap, very subtle indeedy :icon thumright:

• Haha
They only shine down on the ashtray area, so if you have a full-screen HU on you won't see anything from the downlights.

I'm only after something really subtle, anything too bright I find distracting so hopefully they will fit the bill nicely :smile:
Do you not have the ambient option already.

No unfortunately my A4 was a pretty poor spec from the factory considering it is an S-Line! No cruise, no DIS, cloth, no lighting pack... I've addressed almost all of that now, and fortunately the door cards in the new interior came with the full lighting pack including the lit door handles, so thought it made sense to grab this to complement it and add a bit more red ambience :laugh: Just the footwell lights to go now.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
This is the sort of result I was hoping for from it, just a subtle glow reflecting off my silver trim round the gear stick.

s-l1600.jpg

just took a pic of mine and the camera pic does make it look brighter than it really is, also the carbon trim seems to absorb the red light quite a bit.
Maybe with the silver trims, it will reflect the light more.

IMG 4681

Last edited:
The red downlights are pretty poor to be honest, and a lot do fit brighter solutions.
I had my bus for a couple of years before realising the lights shinning down..lol

Used to really bug me cause I couldn’t find where these 2 red lights were emitting from ,found myself waving my hand thru the beam trying to track it down ,I was sure it was a reflection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just took a pic of mine and the camera pic does make it look brighter than it really is, also the carbon trim seems to absorb the red light quite a bit.
Maybe with the silver trims, it will reflect the light more.

View attachment 251937

Have you upgraded your bulbs ,mines not half as illuminated as that

Nope, it's my camera exposure set over the top..lol.
I'm going to try again, I'm no David Baily..lol

Yep, I'veve tried again.
better this time around.
looks a bit less bright than yours James, maybe the lack of silver trim is the reason mine is darker overall, either way, it's still borderline dim to say the least.
IMG 4686

Looks great chaps, just what I'm after! I think my aluminium trim may help spread the light out a bit better too :thumbs up:

Reactions: Charlie Farley and Jamsmoo
I'm
Looks great chaps, just what I'm after! I think my aluminium trim may help spread the light out a bit better too :thumbs up:
it will do indeed. :icon thumright:

sensing a new craze, how bright are your downlights..lol

• Haha
better still.
you can see the red light on the top of the gear knob as well as reflecting of the gaiter trim.
IMG 4685

IMG 0184

While we’re on the subject ,the previous owner fitted these,don’t have them on at all really quite distracting

Aftermarket ,yes just switch off at the controller,or scroll through a myriad of colours ,or the flashing party bus thing not for me View attachment 251945

It does have the Audi footwell lights in the rear in the base of the front seats

From memory, there was an option for the rear passenger overhead light to have the ambient down lights too.

It does have the Audi footwell lights in the rear in the base of the front seats

I was fortunate to get a bus that had all the ambient lighting options fitted, so it's all sorted, doors, footwells etc.
But it didn't have cruise....does now though. :yahoo:

I have the puddle lights but I quite fancy the Quattro emblem ,can the eBay jobbies be swapped in

Not sure, if you find out enlighten us more James as id rather like some Quattro lights beaming down when I open the doors.

no, but I have the part number somehere.

• Love
That would be great if you could find it please Rob!

I’ve changed my puddle lights a few times… Always eBay specials. These were a personal favourite as they really light up the floor. Have gone back to just plain 4 rings now as they are a little more subtle

Attachments

• 943660E8-930F-4824-8230-4065C80ACD99.jpeg
    943660E8-930F-4824-8230-4065C80ACD99.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
Reactions: tr7 and Jamsmoo
Everyday is a school day with these cars… I’ve owned my wagon for over six years now, have covered thousands of miles in it. I’ve never noticed those red lights before. Had noticed the glow but never looked to see where is was coming from. Was about to go to bed but had to go and check…

Attachments

• C06384ED-F301-43FC-8603-53172E16EBEB.jpeg
    C06384ED-F301-43FC-8603-53172E16EBEB.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 59