S3 gearbox service

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
Changed myself, car done just under 36k
Used genuine oil and filter, noticed it changes gears as smooth (if not smoother) than before, but up changes gears very quickly now, be 2-3-4-5 quick..... Is that good?
Never changed gear that quickly before..... Wonder if it needed a change and its done it good.

Reactions: Jcbmally
Changed myself, car done just under 36k
Used genuine oil and filter, noticed it changes gears as smooth (if not smoother) than before, but up changes gears very quickly now, be 2-3-4-5 quick..... Is that good?
Never changed gear that quickly before..... Wonder if it needed a change and its done it good.
Definitely done the box good, you cleaned the filter too ? I remember mine would change up quickly when it was new, perfectly normal. I’d be more concerned if it change slowly/late, obviously holds on to gears longer in dynamic.

Definitely done the box good, you cleaned the filter too ? I remember mine would change up quickly when it was new, perfectly normal. I’d be more concerned if it change slowly/late, obviously holds on to gears longer in dynamic.
Here is what I did exactly..... Car was driven to work then left idling( about 20 minutes) whilst I removed the under tray, then I switched the car off, drained the oil, by removing the sump plug and snorkel, left that to drain while I removed the battery, and then the filter..... Then I sucked up the remaining bit of oil left inside the filter housing, cleaned it dry, then filled via the filter housing (an hour or so later) Its filled with around 6 litres of oil, replaced filter, battery, sump plug etc.
Started car checked temp with vcds, was on 23 degrees..... Let car idle until vcds showed me transmission fluid temperature of 39 degrees, undid the sump drain... Until the fluid stopped coming out, replaced the sump plug.... Job done.
I drained back around 1 litre and around 300-400ml...... So I've around 4.5-4.6 litres of oil in there now...... Lesson learned.... Just buy 5 litres next time. Lol

Here is what I did exactly..... Car was driven to work then left idling( about 20 minutes) whilst I removed the under tray, then I switched the car off, drained the oil, by removing the sump plug and snorkel, left that to drain while I removed the battery, and then the filter..... Then I sucked up the remaining bit of oil left inside the filter housing, cleaned it dry, then filled via the filter housing (an hour or so later) Its filled with around 6 litres of oil, replaced filter, battery, sump plug etc.
Started car checked temp with vcds, was on 23 degrees..... Let car idle until vcds showed me transmission fluid temperature of 39 degrees, undid the sump drain... Until the fluid stopped coming out, replaced the sump plug.... Job done.
I drained back around 1 litre and around 300-400ml...... So I've around 4.5-4.6 litres of oil in there now...... Lesson learned.... Just buy 5 litres next time. Lol

Did you go thru gears ( hold brake and go in all gears for about 20sec each) before doing final oil drain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you go thru gears ( hold brake and go in all gears for about 20sec each) before doing final oil drain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, sorry forgot mention that, I did that twice just to make sure

It's very satisfying when you do a job yourself. I changed my DSG (DQ381 7-speed) oil+filter last December and completed a writeup with pictures here. My FL S3 had only covered 20K miles but being 5 years old I decided to change all fluids including the so called sealed for life front and rear diffs. I haven't noticed any difference with the gear changes after the fuild change and it feels exactly the same as it was before the oil change.

I've done the haldex..... What else is there and how easy is it?
My cars a 2015 and I changed the gearbox oil at exactly 35980

The so called (according to Audi) "sealed for life" front and rear diffs. Your S3 PFL has exactly the same diffs as my FL, all the details are in my diary here and it's an easy job and worth doing if you want all your fluids refreshing.

Reactions: Jcbmally and vw754