Double din conversion 06/56 plate questions

craigy

Reaction score
Hi ladies and gents, i know this has been asked a lot but i couldn't find exactly what i need by searching so would like some clarification before it arrives and i start trying to pull my car apart

i managed to get hold of a double din cage with everything basically what's in the picture from a 2004 model, now since i haven't been able to look at the rear of the air con control units if i need to i will change the innards between both units if the plugs are different but my main concern is how i remove and then fit the double din cage

S l1600 1

i have read many guides but without pictures im kind of at a loss, im more of a pictorial than written instructions person

i have read in some guides i need to remove the lower part of the dash and glove box and in others no mention of it.

the most understandable guide i have found so far is this one, that mentions glove box and dash removal but no pics of removing those sections

Or if there is anyone in bristol or near that has experience in this i don't mind paying for your services especially since i could do with getting the aux heater out to resolder the resistors

Hi craigy,

(what year and model is your A3 ?)

thanks for the post. Interestingly, I am preparing for the same - single to double din conversion.

Until now I have been looking at my options to have a large screen (and more up to date unit and functionality) without the conversion. The closest I found was either a unit with slide out screen or a unit with detachable screen. In either case, the screen would partially cover the vents and / or some of the controls / switches. I didn’t like that.

Just recently I came across a double din cage and climate controls, just a pure luck .

I’ve read (and liked) the AudiWorld post (thanks for the link) but would still appreciate any additional info and hints.

I am interested to install an aftermarket double din unit that would allow BT connection with my iPhone (Apple CarPlay) so I can use my iPhone for hands free phone calls, music, GPS and whatever else.
So if any of the folks on this forum have any suggestions id definitely appreciate that.

Thank you,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi craigy,

(what year and model is your A3 ?)

thanks for the post. Interestingly, I am preparing for the same - single to double din conversion.

Until now I have been looking at my options to have a large screen (and more up to date unit and functionality) without the conversion. The closest I found was either a unit with slide out screen or a unit with detachable screen. In either case, the screen would partially cover the vents and / or some of the controls / switches. I didn’t like that.

Just recently I came across a double din cage and climate controls, just a pure luck .

I’ve read (and liked) the AudiWorld post (thanks for the link) but would still appreciate any additional info and hints.

I am interested to install an aftermarket double din unit that would allow BT connection with my iPhone (Apple CarPlay) so I can use my iPhone for hands free phone calls, music, GPS and whatever else.
So if any of the folks on this forum have any suggestions id definitely appreciate that.

Thank you,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a 56 plate 8p1 manufactured 08/2006

that's what i want a large screen currently i swapped the standard unit to a sony dx410 bt, but i want a screen, and with single din all i saw were unknown chinese brands looking mostly the same needing a harness to be made, as having a pop out or detachable screen wouldn't really bother me too much if it were a reputable brand

im tempted to go for an android unit so i can install my music streaming apps and google maps etc and for the potential future installation of a reverse camera

i have a thread of the initial head unit conversion a few years back halfords ended up being really helpful in that regard im going to update it tomorrow with some pictures that i should have done 2 years ago
initially they ordered these based on reg and head unit or halfords did anyway
CTHUE-AU1 Audi Head Unit
CT24AU07 Audi Fascia Plat

but ended up needing these as my plugs were different and same for the facia plate size
CTHUP-AU01 AUDI Head Unit (also module for switched live from canbus and steering wheel controls) if you have those controls)
AudiA3 03-06 Fsc Kt
also may be needed for the amplified rear PC1-601 its a line output converter installed inline with the rear speaker output from the stereo to

Reactions: bronco