Wheel nuts and locking wheel

XLR-8

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to fit a set of wheels to my car with the following wheel size 8x18 5x112 ET 48 and wondered whether I should purchase a new set of locking wheel nuts and bolts or if I can use the ones that came with the car.
The size of the original wheels is 7.5x18 5x112 ET 51. If I were to need a new set, would you be able to recommend one with the correct size please?

Many thanks

The size and offset of the new wheels isn't the main factor. The two critical factors as far as wheel bolts are (1) the replacement wheels have the same (or very close) thickness at the bolt area so engaged thread depth is not compromised and (2) the area around the bolt holes where the bolt heads meet the new wheels must be the same shape and type as the originals so the bolts seat correctly when they are tightened up.

Reactions: XLR-8
Thanks for the reply Mazman. Would you know how I go about finding out factor 1?

The only people who can answer both questions are the wheel manufacturers or possibly the retailers.

Generally in 99% of cases, you only need to worry about if the new wheels bolt holes are tapered or radius bolt fitments, as eluded to already, just compare the 2 wheel type bolt holes, either the holes will have a rounded or straight edge where the holt sits in the hole, its fairly obvious when you get up close with a torch.

Using the wrong type in the holes can cause a bad accident as stability of the wheels are compromised drastically as they wont bolt up as much.

Reactions: Mazman
Thanks guys. I believe the bolts are radius on both.
20220103 110100

The middle bolt is the one that came with the wheels and the other ones are the ones that came with the car. There is about 7mm
difference between the 2.
I've emailed OZ racing to find out if they can help me with the bolt size. Fingers crossed they can as the retailer couldn't help me, stating that the wheels came directly from OZ racing so they had no idea.

The fact the wheels come with specific bolts is significant, so I'd have to suggest that the bolts to use are going to be those that come with the wheels. The seating faces will obviously be correct. The extra bolt length may be related to the replacement wheels having thicker centres. That's easily checked before you use them. The thread diameter and pitch appear to match the originals, but again make sure.

Reactions: XLR-8 and NHN
He's complicating this.

Put an old bolt in old wheel, hold there & measure the thread shown on the backside brake facing.

Do the same with old bolt on new wheel, see if thread shown is identical as the old wheel, if not, put new bolt in new wheel & measure shown thread, if it matches the thread available on old bolt old wheel, use new bolts, if old bolt has same thread available on both wheels, use old bolts.

Reactions: XLR-8 and Mazman
Thanks guys. I believe the bolts are radius on both.
View attachment 247911
The middle bolt is the one that came with the wheels and the other ones are the ones that came with the car. There is about 7mm
difference between the 2.
I've emailed OZ racing to find out if they can help me with the bolt size. Fingers crossed they can as the retailer couldn't help me, stating that the wheels came directly from OZ racing so they had no idea.
The middle one is extended bcos they been using wheel spacers .
I don't use locking bolts it is headache..
I have all same like is in the middle bcos I have wheel spacers and I have all 20 same like top one.. those are origs..

Thank you all for the replies. So after following your guys advice I check the different sizes with both wheels and there is a difference in the OZ wheels centre thickness so definately need to be using the bolts that came with the oz wheels as the other bolts wouldn't be safe to use.
Here is what it looks like.
IMG 20211231 154350 540

Took the opportunity to fit a new set of Michelin PS4s at the same time.
Thanks again

Reactions: Mazman
Thank you for coming back XLR-8 and letting us know there was a good result. So often responses to a request for advice or help are never given any feedback and no one knows what the result was. It doesn't just help the OP, it may also help others following the thread. I'm with you on the PS4s. Just fitted a set to my car.

Reactions: XLR-8
No worries Mazman, I thought as much. In this instance if I were to purchase some McGard lock bolts the correct ones to purchase would be 28032SU as they are the closest ones in terms of size to the bolts I received with the wheels.