LED number plate bulbs

shauntaylor41

Reaction score
I recently put new LED bulbs in as brighter than normal bulbs and now it shows error every time I start the car A3, I’ve got a AncelTech 500 to clear codes but it still comes back on. Does anyone know how to permanently erase the code as I want to put headlights bulbs in and don’t want the same problem. Thanks in advance.

Hi Shaun,
The Audi's tend to have a system installed called CANBUS. This regulates the voltage coming through the cable. Since the led bulbs use such little electricity compared to the halogen the CANBUS system thinks that the bulbs have blown and are not working. I recommend getting a led bulb with a resistor built in. They are available in Ireland anyway.
Hope this helps

Reactions: shauntaylor41
Canbus doesn't do anything to change voltage so to speak on a constant basis everytime its in use, only when a coding change is made momentarily, its purely a networking system between modules, what's happening is the supply module is set via coding to which bulb type is fitted or its not a coding option hence why led units have varied design for varied resistance to fool the supplying module into thinking its a simple halogen type bulb, also by way of cold & hot diagnosis does it determine if the bulbs reporting the right current, resistance etc.

Only part that involves canbus is when the supplying module tells the dis module over can, that there's an error on a said light circuit, so in that way yes its canbus friendly but not in the way some would believe.

Reactions: shauntaylor41