Service Interval?

N-Sinc

Reaction score
Hi All,

Quick Q.... The light has come on my dash suggesting i need an oil change service, as it's been a year since my last service. however, since that service a year ago, i've only put about 800 miles on the car!

Had the haldex fluid and other filters replaced last time (except pollen i believe) So my question is, do i need to get the car serviced to maintain FSH? Or is it good practice to get it serviced again anyway seeing as it's been a year?

Thanks!

Personally regardless of miles I would get a service. For performance cars, I’d always expect a FSH every year.

My brother does the same and has done 8k in 6 years lol still does a yearly service to ensure oils are changed.

Sometimes doing less miles is worse if you let the oil just sit there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Csllover and JohnM100
Get the oil changed - chances are it’s degrading due to the lack of heat cycles (oxidation / water adsorption & bacteria living in it).

Performance car so not worth scrimping on service.

Reactions: Csllover and j0nny2013
I like others would get the oil changed however would it do any harm to not do it, very unlikely.
Plenty of cars out there have 2year scheduled oil services so the oil will not have gone bad sitting still but engines are designed to be used and seals lubricated etc so I would be more concerned about the mechanicals sitting still so much!
Good practice yes, absolutely essential no.

Maybe do it yourself, still shows FSH and you might enjoy yourself also.

Reactions: jimojameso
Yeap as above, just an oil change is enough, nothing else needs changing.

I tend to ignore manufacturer service intervals, they're extremely optimistic. I've not had many brand new cars admittedly but plenty of new bikes over the years.

My new car regime would be oil and filter change @ 500 miles, 1000 miles, 1500 miles and then every 8000 miles/12 months whichever is sooner. Fuel filters I replace every 15k or so along with air/pollen filters. Any second hand car I buy gets a full service from the off regardless of whether it's due or not, as well as new boots (I'm picky over tyres). Bikes, similar but regular oil change every 5k/6 months after the first 3 changes.

If I'm storing a vehicle over winter or for any length of time over 10 weeks, it gets an oil and filter change and the fuel tank brimmed.

For storage, brimming the tank is a good call as reduces condensation - I did that at the start of first lockdown last year. That said, fine for super / 97 RON E5 but for cars with E10 - that stuff goes off quicker as it absorbs more water. Ideally a long run afterwards to stir and burn off the old fuel (& water) from the tank - not often practical though