2012 2.0 Tdi a3 EGR

Dmilton57

Reaction score
Had a egr fault code a few years ago but ignored it till a week ago. My car never went into limp mode until a few weeks ago where it was in limp mode for a whole week and the week after it was here and there. So got the egr valve replaced genuine parts paid £400 through a friend. Anyway cars been fine for 2 days and then this morning it went back into limp mode for about 1 mile and then came out while at driving in 3rd gear. NO lights have come up. Anyone have any idea????

I thought maybe the dpf could be clogged from the 2 years of ignoring the egr, but my friend who is a qualified mechanic has told
Me if the dpf filter was clogged the car wouldn’t even start. So this wouldn’t be the case.
Any ideas?????

When You had your EGR valve replaced, did You also cleaned your intake manifold? All the gunk from EGR usually is deposited there and restricts airflow - therefore throwing out fault code for EGR insufficient flow.

Audi A4 B9 3.0 TDi quattro 200 kw

When You had your EGR valve replaced, did You also cleaned your intake manifold? All the gunk from EGR usually is deposited there and restricts airflow - therefore throwing out fault code for EGR insufficient flow.

Audi A4 B9 3.0 TDi quattro 200 kw
I will have to ask my friend

Although cleaning the intake out wont hurt, unless theres an issue with the breather system, turbo etc allowing more oil than usual to get onto the system combined with exhaust gases, its unlikely to be clogged up, easy check is to remove egr etc & get a finger inside the intake & see how thick the grime is, I actually cleaned mine out in 08 or thereabouts when my turbo blew, checked it about 2 months back, hardly anything in the intake after all this time, so a 2012 car should be ok, but you need to get it on diagnostics to check what the limp is caused by, dpf could cause this, only one way to know.

Although cleaning the intake out wont hurt, unless theres an issue with the breather system, turbo etc allowing more oil than usual to get onto the system combined with exhaust gases, its unlikely to be clogged up, easy check is to remove egr etc & get a finger inside the intake & see how thick the grime is, I actually cleaned mine out in 08 or thereabouts when my turbo blew, checked it about 2 months back, hardly anything in the intake after all this time, so a 2012 car should be ok, but you need to get it on diagnostics to check what the limp is caused by, dpf could cause this, only one way to know.
I won’t be able to ask him u til tomorrow but took it out again earlier and no problems. He did a force regen on my dpf after he swapped the egr over, so if my dpf is regenning then surely it isn’t a dpf problem?

We can hypothesise all day long mate, but you need it on diagnostics end of story, it could be dpf sensor, dpf, numerous things tbh.

Reactions: Sibmets