So it happened, any suggestions.

Jakewedwards1

Reaction score
Hey guys! Well today was a good day, until I went to turn my car off and I heard a slight knock through the clutch pedal. I get it when I turn the car on as well. I have read about this online and sounds like my DMF is on the way out. So, I’m on stage one power around 300. What clutch kit will do the trick? Or can I get away with the oem one? Any help would be appreciated.
Jake

A brand new OEM clutch will not slip at stage 1 when new. However, it all depends on your driving style.
you are already on the slippery slope in that you are at stage 1. Stage 2+ is beckoning and you will find it very hard to resist!! Then the OEM clutch could be on borrowed time.
There are performance clutches that will cope with the torque no problem. However, some require quite a lot of pedal pressure and over time can be detrimental to the crank thrust washers, especially if you have to push the clutch in to start the car. A little wiring harness can be bought that removes the need to press the clutch in to start the car for about £25.00.
I have an RTS dmf clutch in my S3 and it has taken lots of running in to remove the judder. I felt I had spoilt my car initially but it is OK now. Pedal pressure is standard.
A new offering pioneered by Midland VW is to combine an early RS3 pressure plate and flywheel with the friction plate from a diesel model. Not sure which one. Torque handling results and standard leg pressure reports are very encouraging. It’s worth giving Midland VW a call and chat to Jody for more info. This is the route I’d be going down if I did not have the RTS already.