DSG engine brake

viBe95

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently bought an Audi A3 8P Sportback 1.4 TFSI (2010) with a DSG. Until today I was only driving it in "D". Today i decided to try manual mode for the first time. While I was driving I had to go down a hill and unconsciously i downshift so I can use some engine braking (this is what I usually to in a normal manual car). Now, is this bad for a DSG ? I noticed that even in "D" the transmission uses engine brake especially down hill.

I assume that the gearbox will not let you downshift to use engine brake if some parameters are not established.

Keep in mind that this is the first time I drive a DSG and I'm still trying to understand the ins and outs

Last edited:
No, shifting down in "manual" on a DSG is no difference than from changing from gear 5 to 4 in a normal manual car.
I drive my DSG in manual mode 95%, I can't use a manual car due to health

With every car mate dct dsg or manual dont use engine braking, regardless its excessive stress and wear on components and there is no need for it. In you case acident happen ive done it once or twice in my s3 and ive sworn at myself for doing it lol.

Last thing u want is a dead DSG box to replace or repair or engine failure

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

My DSG is on 197k and I've used engine braking since I passed my test (1988) No issues in any car at all.

Reactions: Sibmets
My DSG is on 197k and I've used engine braking since I passed my test (1988) No issues in any car at all.
I get that i mean i could be wrong but it just feels wrong to me

Reactions: LEE69
With every car mate dct dsg or manual dont use engine braking, regardless its excessive stress and wear on components and there is no need for it. In you case acident happen ive done it once or twice in my s3 and ive sworn at myself for doing it lol.

Last thing u want is a dead DSG box to replace or repair or engine failure

I can understand your point, the thing is from what I can see, even with de car in (D) still does it. If I'm costing and i press the brake it can drop to 3th at 3-4000 rpm, depending on the pressure and if there is a corner for which i have to brake a bit harder .

I searched a bit more and i can see that this subject is controversial =]] There are a lot of opinions ..

Last edited: