Understanding VCDS Adaption Maps

Mikeso51

Reaction score
Just bought a VCDS cable, and before making any changes on my car I am creating backups of all the current settings including Adaption Maps. Most things are fairly clear, however something I don't understand and which is not explained in the Ross Tech manual is the meaning of the last column of numbers in the Maps. The first column gives the channel number and a description of the function, and the second column gives the status/ setting of the channel. However there is a 3rd column which contains an integer in the range 1-256.

I'd be grateful if someone could explain what the numbers in the 3rd column mean?

Is the column not just a value as some adaptations are more than just on/off. For example the soft touch indicators can be set from 1-5 flashes so I would guess the last column is the value.

I’ve just learned from an expert source that the 3rd column number is the number of bytes in the adaption channel. i had confused myself by thinking that each line item in the map was an adaption channel, but that’s wrong. Some individual adaption channels contain several settings spread over many bytes.