A3 8P No hot air, flaps diagnosis

Gytukas

Reaction score
Pre fl, 2004
Title says it all, no heat from vents, it's winter here, first thing I've done was to flush heater matrix, water came clear, both hoses are hot after car reaches operating temp, upper main radiator hose is hot too, the bottom one is a bit colder, as it should, what else is left, flaps right? Could anyone tell me which flap is responsive for the hot air that's going trough matrix? Any ideas?
Thanks!
a3-18415.png

Basic setting 001 flap alignment in hvac 08, go from there.

Basic setting 001 flap alignment in hvac 08, go from there.

I do not have VAG-COM at the moment, unplugging battery haven't helped either, not sure if it resets flaps

It wont help, you need diagnostics to reset everything, then see if it still isnt working.

Haven't done alot in the past days as it is insanely cold to work on car outside here, one question..
Does the matrix gets fully warm after car reaches op. temp? Both metal lines are hot, but the matrix itself.. Seems like half of it doesn't get as hot as the top, the bottom is nearly cold, is this the issue? Or it is normal, since the air was flowing trough at the time

I don't know how new a member you are here. This forum is highly helpful with a bunch of really experienced audi owners who modify cars extensively. I can tell you that when NHN advises you to do something then take the suggestion seriously as he will save you hours of time and he knows the 8P inside and out. You need to find a local member with VCDS. The VCDS locator is a sticky. Scan it and then go from there. the member will help and I suggest a few beers or you can see the codes and look them up on Ross tech wiki

Could be an air lock.

With the car running and the expansion cap off and water at normal level, try to peel back the top heater matrix hose a little. It's tight for access but if you have proper hose clamp pliers it's doable and releases air/leaks water, at least then you know there isn't an air pocket. Usually you don't have to pull it all the way off. It's a shame the 8P doesn't have a bleed screw here, it would help a lot.

The heater core circuit warms up with the engine first before thermostat opens, so as the gauge moves off cold, it should in theory start to throw some warm air out.