S3 8V remap with clutch/flywheel upgrade completed

blodwen715

Reaction score
Last week I took the plunge and got the stage 1 APR/SACHS clutch package from Awesome GTI, along with some 11mm wheel spacers all round and various servicing done too. This also included the changing of the flywheel as it was spotted but not badly.

I forgot to order the extra muscle for my left leg, such is the difference between stock and upgrade!

The shame is I have to bed in the new clutch (750 miles…) and given I am working from home it is going to take a fair bit of time to complete… ☹

That said, I notice there is definitely a better response on light throttle compared to stock. Once I’m use to the heavier clutch and correct revs for the bite plus the bit of judder in 1st gear (I believe as expected until bedded in...) I am sure I’ll notice the improvements.

As for the spacers (Awesome/Forge 5x112 - 57.1 Hubcentric Wheel Spacer Kit with Bolts), this was really a “cosmic” upgrade to give the standard 18in Alloys a bit more stance filling out the arches, which I’m happy with apart from the set doesn’t include a locking wheel nut set.

The car is 5 years old, with only 41400 miles done. I have the old clutch and tbh it looks in relatively good condition, I didn’t suffer any issues with it prior to upgrade, I just didn’t really want the lower torque remap on the standard clutch just in case it then suffered?

So with getting an interim service plus haldex/Aircon/brake servicing too, it’s been a heavy chuck out of my wallet with a little bit of Black Friday discount, that will hopefully put a smile on my face soon .

Next will be replacing the brakes as still on originals, looking at maybe EBC yellowstuff pads/discs?

Reactions: BoredNoMore, Leevr and Jcbmally
Last week I took the plunge and got the stage 1 APR/SACHS clutch package from Awesome GTI, along with some 11mm wheel spacers all round and various servicing done too. This also included the changing of the flywheel as it was spotted but not badly.

I forgot to order the extra muscle for my left leg, such is the difference between stock and upgrade!

The shame is I have to bed in the new clutch (750 miles…) and given I am working from home it is going to take a fair bit of time to complete… ☹

That said, I notice there is definitely a better response on light throttle compared to stock. Once I’m use to the heavier clutch and correct revs for the bite plus the bit of judder in 1st gear (I believe as expected until bedded in...) I am sure I’ll notice the improvements.

As for the spacers (Awesome/Forge 5x112 - 57.1 Hubcentric Wheel Spacer Kit with Bolts), this was really a “cosmic” upgrade to give the standard 18in Alloys a bit more stance filling out the arches, which I’m happy with apart from the set doesn’t include a locking wheel nut set.

The car is 5 years old, with only 41400 miles done. I have the old clutch and tbh it looks in relatively good condition, I didn’t suffer any issues with it prior to upgrade, I just didn’t really want the lower torque remap on the standard clutch just in case it then suffered?

So with getting an interim service plus haldex/Aircon/brake servicing too, it’s been a heavy chuck out of my wallet with a little bit of Black Friday discount, that will hopefully put a smile on my face soon .

Next will be replacing the brakes as still on originals, looking at maybe EBC yellowstuff pads/discs?
I'm sure once all settled it will transform the car mate, and at least all the service items will make it tip top again.

Reactions: blodwen715
I'm considering going Sachs organic if mine gives out. Has the bite point on the pedal changed on the new clutch? I've always found mine to be a bit high up the pedal travel compared to my 1.8.
Have you removed the restrictor in the hydraulic line to the clutch? I'm convinced this contributes to premature wear as the only time mine slips is going back on the power in higher gears after a fast change up.

Hi Matt, not too sure on the bite point.. its more the heaviness of the pedal getting use too. Sorry not aware of the restrictor, as mentioned in post, I had no issues with the clutch before, I just wanted felt it would be wiser to upgrade it given there are plenty of posts here on peeps consider the clutch is a weak point even running stock.