Exhaust brackets

spartacus68

Reaction score
Doing some rust prevention maintenance on my 2012 B8 Allroad. I'd power washed under the arches and chassis last weekend to prepare. I'd done the rear spring seats a month or so ago so knew it needed done. Using a product called Lanoguard for the first time which just gets sprayed on. Unfortunately the rust worm beat me to it. The central join on the exhaust was held together with one bracket, which was eaten through too! Thought the exhaust was blowing a bit. Worth checking yourselves.

94f24f174fb5ee4bc2b9cc29ba536cf3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: audiwaterpump
20200131 101437
20200130 085410
I had to replace mine with 2 Mikalor stainless clamps

Last edited:
Reactions: John9748, spartacus68 and audiwaterpump
Those Mikalor stainless clamps look the business, thank you.

I was genuinely surprised at the state if it. I'm based in Aberdeenshire, so yes, north of the wall so to speak. Last winter was mild, hardly any snow, plus I have my Polo TDI as my daily driver, but the Allroad is 8 years old, so par for the course I suppose.

Will be interested to see how this Lanoguard works. I've never treated the car before underneath, but when I changed the rear spring seats I noticed the subframe was developing surface rust. Very easy to apply.

These clamps went on my daughter's late 2009 SEAT Ibiza in 2017, my wife's 2002 VW Polo 1.4 16V (petrol engine) survived okay for 13 years 135K miles, but maybe it did not have an exhaust joint at the mid point.
I'll need to check my wife's 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI next year, though I do have a couple of spare "same as used by VW Group" clamps from the apir of joining pieces I first bought for my 2000 VW Passat 4Motion - and found that there were the wrong size - the first pair ended up being used on that 2009 SEAT Ibiza!

Lanoguard, I'll need to look that stuff up, I also get annoyed by the speed that all black painted subframes rust and this year I mixed some Otwatrol oil in with Hammerite black smooth, and used that - someone on Briskoda found it works well and if you add a small amount of black paint it helps it blend in with the original black paint but hopefully provide longer rust protection.

Gents.
Good afternoon can anyone tell me the size clamps they went for ? I have a 2013 A4 b8 with the same prob however unsure of the clamp size 59-63mm I was looking at can anyone confirm?

Gents.
Good afternoon can anyone tell me the size clamps they went for ? I have a 2013 A4 b8 with the same prob however unsure of the clamp size 59-63mm I was looking at can anyone confirm?
IMG 9865

I like the idea of retro fitting Mikalor for these joining sleeves, but, from owning an S4 that came with a Milltek stainless steel exhaust, I can see that the clamps that Milltek use for this sort of job have M8 bolts and just high grade hi tensile steel bolts, whereas, Mikalor, for the same size of clamps, just use M6 bolts, and especially if buying in the ones that have stainless steel bolts, then the drop in strength on these bolts when compared with the ones that Milltek use must be quite significant. If that had not been the case, I would have bought in a set of Mikalor clamps to replace the Milltek ones which have after 11/12 years have bolts that have become a bit nasty looking.

Just my thoughts from considering buying Mikalor for exhaust clamp replacements, I'm sure that VW Group has changed the design of all their joining sleeves clamps, (though if that change was to make them more corrosion resistant or just cheaper to source I can't say) which was probably why I managed to buy a new original VW Group one very cheaply via ebay, to fit to my wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI sometime soon.