Dent Repair – Recommendations

Nick_B

Reaction score
Hi All – in a moment of carelessness, I managed to knock the side of my car with a SCUBA cylinder – and this is the result…

Any recommendations appreciated – am thinking this is well within the type of damage for a mobile repairer.

yes, nice and easy. They will tap it out from behind immaculately withour damaging the paint, unless it is already damaged or cracked.

Looking at around £200 > £250 in London - cheaper the further out you go

Reactions: Nick_B
I was looking into getting a door tapped out because some cannot open their doors carefully... looks like £90ish in the northwest (not mobile)

However, yours is on a body line so will probably be more.

It looks like this may be more difficult than I thought. The Pointless Dent Removal guys rely on being able to access the underside of the panel to push out the dent - unfortunately this area is double skinned so access if not possible.

Their solution is to glue a small plug onto the surface and pull with a slide hammer, however if this does not work (and they are not optimistic) they drill a small access hole (~8mm) in the door jamb which is closed off with a rubber bung when complete. Needless to say I do not want a hole drilled in the car!

I am now thinking that, given the small size, a small amount of body filler, smoothed down and painted may be the way to go.

I think I'd touch it up and see how much it annoys me before going any further. You might not notice it after touching it up.

I agree that drilling a hole is a bad idea.

You could try doing it yourself with a bridge puller repair tool and a glue gun.

I had a similar size dent on my A4 around that area and repaired it using a bridge puller repair tool.

see thread here of results.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/dings-dents-and-scratches-to-your-beloved-bodywork.391161/

Think it cost me £30 and got the tools for life now.

That is an excellent result - really impressive. I am thining mine may be more of a challenge as the dent is accross a crease line. I may well give this a go to see if I can improve it. Failing that I have a quote for £250 which includes filling / smoothing the dent and blending in the paint. Or.... I simply forget about it

Reactions: A4A4
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…