What do I need to know before getting a downpipe fitted?

S3_Mag

Reaction score
I've been considering getting my facelift s3 fitted with a downpipe and decat, I've been told I have to take it to stage 2 before getting the downpipe, but i'm not so sure, any advice would be great.

Its a scorpion downpipe im looking at

Don’t have to go to stage 2 but will need the emissions light tuned off, if running de-cat.

Some sport cats fit without light coming on, but think they say might possibly come on.

I’ve got de cat, I’ve been debating putting it on and going stage 2, but ideally need larger intercooler.
Both can be done as fitting looks easy but only got drive way and not lift.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: S3_Mag
I've been considering getting my facelift s3 fitted with a downpipe and decat, I've been told I have to take it to stage 2 before getting the downpipe, but i'm not so sure, any advice would be great.

Its a scorpion downpipe im looking at
I've just fitted a scorpion decat on my pfl and I'm getting no warning lights. If you're doing it yourself you'll need a second pair of hands as getting the standard cat out is a little tricky. Oh and a ramp ! Gets a bit loud if you've got no resonator fitted.

Reactions: S3_Mag
I've just fitted a scorpion decat on my pfl and I'm getting no warning lights. If you're doing it yourself you'll need a second pair of hands as getting the standard cat out is a little tricky. Oh and a ramp ! Gets a bit loud if you've got no resonator fitted.
So other than possibly getting a warning light, there is no other issues with fitting a downpipe decat? Yeah i definitely won't be doing it myself haha

So other than possibly getting a warning light, there is no other issues with fitting a downpipe decat? Yeah i definitely won't be doing it myself haha
MOT time ! I've had no issues yet though I loaded a map on as soon as I fitted it.

MOT time ! I've had no issues yet though I loaded a map on as soon as I fitted it.
Oh yeah, I think i'll just reverse it when it gets close to the time. The main thing that's concerned me about it is that I've been told without a stage 2 remap it can cause the turbo to overspool and kick the car into limp mode

<BOF mode on> Technically - well, no, really-, as removing the cat means the car is no longer roadworthy (wouldn't pass an MOT - it needs one to be there as part of the visual inspection, even if it could pass the emissions test without one, which is doubtful), you'll not be insured either. And that's not just at MOT time, it's all the time the cat is off. So, should you have the misfortune to have an accident serious enough for an engineers inspection of your car, you might be in for an unpleasant surprise. <BOF mode off>

What he said ^. Just get a good quality sports cat instead since it will still be road legal, and some "claim" to be almost as good as a decat anyway