Newbie starting fault.

James79

Reaction score
Hi my car 2012 cffb, started fine today went to start it again tonight and nothing. checked battery and that is fine, checked all fuses I can see in side of door and engine compartment. Nothing I am getting 12v from battery positive to starter, ground wire from engine to chassis fine. There is no clicking from the solenoid, if I dont press the clutch pedal I get the error message to press it, so surely that works fine aswell. Is there anything else I need to check, or has the starter suddenly gave up, the only thing I haven't tried yet is jump leads from battery to starter to see if it starts.

If you disconnect the thick batter wire going to the starter motor and Tape your multimeter positive probe to this and put electrical tape around it so it didn’t touch anything by mistake

get someone to crank the engine and you observe if you get 12v there to not.

this will help understand if the starter solenoid is trying to engage and that it’s receiving the 12V feed from the key going to cranking position.

If this is present then you could look at the starter motor being faulty (tapping it hard whilst trying to crank sometimes brings it back to life for a couple of days of use)

Hi tried that only getting 2v not 12v to the solenoid. I can hear it clicking now tho, I had nothing before. Battery shows 12.34v. Should I be seeing 12v.

Put the battery to solenoid cable back and it starts, so can only assume the solenoid had stuck. Looks like a new starter is needed.

Last edited:
Hi tried that only getting 2v not 12v to the solenoid. I can hear it clicking now tho, I had nothing before. Battery shows 12.34v. Should I be seeing 12v.

Put the battery to solenoid cable back and it starts, so can only assume the solenoid had stuck. Looks like a new starter is needed.
If that’s the only region you tampered with then yes it makes sense a stuck solenoid