AGU 1.8t turbo inlet pipe advice

prt57

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been on the 8P forum since 2006 with my S3 8P but popping in here for a bit of advice relating to my Mk 4 Gti 1.8T as not much is turning up elsewhere. So sorry this is not an 8L but early A3 cars may be the same as mine as detailed below:

I bought the car new in 1998 and it is still running very well. It was mapped by RTech about 6 years ago and it is now running a TBE Milltek. It has the standard K03 turbo and is an early model running an AGU engine with a throttle cable.

As I was keen to keep on with a few modifications, I have researched fitting an uprated TIP so watched some Youtube videos on fitting ease etc.
However, all of the videos show the standard lower part of the inlet as being metal and secured onto the turbo with the fixing at the rear of the metal pipe.
On my car, the lower pipe is plastic and not metal and it is not secured to the turbo with the fixing at the rear. All of these parts were fitted at the factory so nothing altered since new.

Also the thin hose that runs round the engine bay to the throttle body is fixed to the front part of the lower pipe on my car whereas every image I have seen of the standard metal pipes and aftermarket TIPs shows it located to the rear.

The plastic lower pipe fitting seems to be fixed onto a thin lip on the turbo not giving much space to secure a silicone TIP with a Jubilee clip without it pulling off.

So my question is has anyone encountered the plastic lower turbo inlet pipe and did you manage to fit a uprated TIP?
At the moment, I am interested in the Forge TIP and once more there is confusion. The Forge info on their website suggests there are 2 different TIPS depending on engine code. However, if you pretend to do an order on line, the part code comes up the same ( FMGOLFIND) for any engine with the K03 (S) turbo.

All thoughts welcomed as quite confused now!