Wheel Upgrade

N88 RBN

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I’m looking to upgrade the stock wheels on my 3dr A3 to the classic Audi ‘peelers’. Can anyone tell me what size I need to be looking at?

I’ve been looking at 19” 8.5j et48 but unsure whether these will fit or not?

Thanks in advance!

They'll fit in the arches, but may rub on your rear arch. I think theres a screw that protrudes quite far down on both sides of the rear, that's what rubs when you go above 18" wheels if I remember correctly

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

You can get away with an ET44 no problem, what you may struggle on is the wheel width as the oem A3 are 7.5" and not 8.5", so it'll depend on the tyre size which would usually be a 225 max.
As said the rear screw can be removed to ease fitting.
ET36 will make the problem worse as that is nearer the arch.

I believe they are available with et43 would I be better off looking for these?

What’s this rear screw your talking about?

I believe they are available with et43 would I be better off looking for these?

What’s this rear screw your talking about?
No not really, it's the width of the rim that's the problem tbh as you'll probably have to have a stretch on the tyre to keep within the arch.
When I had my 8P, I had 19" BBS rims that were 8" wide and had 225's on. They were a perfect fit but still needed the arch screw out.
The thing is, they might fit lovely with the right tyre on, but it's an expensive mistake if it doesnt
The rear screw is just the top screw I side the arch that holds the liner in place. It can be removed without any problems

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

So you recommend I look at 19” 8J what offset?

Whereabouts is the rear screw your on about?

So you recommend I look at 19” 8J what offset?

Whereabouts is the rear screw your on about?
Yeah with an ET45 or thereabouts.
As above the screw is under the rear arch lip near the top,.you can feel.it if you run your fingers around there

8.5" rim with 225 will leave no rim protection. The rim will protrude beyond the tyre some like this look, but not me, even 245 is marginal rim protection and that is what I have on my S3 saloon with 19 x 8.5. Some tyres will offer better rim protection, notably Pirelli P Zero tyres

8.5J is fine with 235 tires. ET45 is about perfect (Front will poke with smaller offsets)
The rear is fine up to ET40 down to ET48, This is Fact as I have 19x8.5 ET45 on my s3 Sport back - BTW Sport 3 door is more forgiving in the rear for wheel width

Not the best but if you zoom in you will get the idea.

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 143
8.5J is fine with 235 tires. ET45 is about perfect (Front will poke with smaller offsets)
The rear is fine up to ET40 down to ET48, This is Fact as I have 19x8.5 ET45 on my s3 Sport back - BTW Sport 3 door is more forgiving in the rear for wheel width

Thanks for your reply, so I should be fine with 19x8.5 ET48 with 235/35 tyres all round?

What tyre are you going for? ET 48 is 3mm further "in" than what I have, there is definitely room between the wheel and the strut for that, It gets a little more complicated with tyres as with my Pirellis they stick out past the wheel around 5mm so that's on top of the 3mm and that will be ok but getting close.

What tyre are you going for? ET 48 is 3mm further "in" than what I have, there is definitely room between the wheel and the strut for that, It gets a little more complicated with tyres as with my Pirellis they stick out past the wheel around 5mm so that's on top of the 3mm and that will be ok but getting close.

I’d be looking at 235 tyres, probably go for Michelin as I have these on my current 18s I guess it depends if it affects fitment or not?

Michelins have a more normal sidewall so should be fine. Worth checking with another 3 door owner in case I have missed anything specific at the rear to be careful of but I would say there would be no issue for a sport back and the SB is usually the trickier of the models for wheel fitments. Worst case scenario you can fit 2/3mm up to 10mm spacers if needed. (Max 2mm at front at ET45 is max with 8.5J otherwise will have poke as the front track is slightly wider than rear)

Michelins have a more normal sidewall so should be fine. Worth checking with another 3 door owner in case I have missed anything specific at the rear to be careful of but I would say there would be no issue for a sport back and the SB is usually the trickier of the models for wheel fitments. Worst case scenario you can fit 2/3mm up to 10mm spacers if needed. (Max 2mm at front at ET45 is max with 8.5J otherwise will have poke as the front track is slightly wider than rear)

Do you have any issues with the screw mentioned above?