Performance coil pack?

KevinS38L

Reaction score
Iv just had cylinder 2 miss fire and ground to a nervous halt. Rac were good replaced the coil and was running smooth in no time. The mechanic recommended having them all changed and as im think about a remap soon i think an upgrade may not be a bad idea. Can anyone recommend a better than oem replacement?

No such thing really... I used std coil packs at over 600hp so OE packs are fine... check your plug gaps and just use new OE... they will be fine

<tuffty/>

Reactions: KevinS38L
No such thing really... I used std coil packs at over 600hp so OE packs are fine... check your plug gaps and just use new OE... they will be fine

<tuffty/>
The plugs are good only changed 4k mikes ago. As a man in the know do you think it maybe worth changing all four then? Im not keen on replacing parts that aren’t broken but don't wont the hassle of another ruined drive or another limp home situation. Thanks for your advice again mate great to have your knowledge at hand when needed

While iv got you tuffty are there any upgrades that would be of benefit before a re map... Iv heard of people fitting a forge 007 valve to help with lamper accuracy.

Personally if you plan to keep the car and do not know when or if the coil packs have been changed then I would change them all... one thing is for sure... they fail...

Its typically an age thing and while the early ones back in the day used to fail more regularly the newer ones are just fine...

<tuffty/>

While iv got you tuffty are there any upgrades that would be of benefit before a re map... Iv heard of people fitting a forge 007 valve to help with lamper accuracy.
No need unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket or want a bit of bling... a new OE is fine for normal K04 mapped levels of power

By lamper I assume you mean lambda... the DV you fit won't have a direct affect on lambda but a rubbish one (Split-R, I looking at you now!!!) will leak air and cause the sort of running issues associated with an airleak in the charge air system... this can cause issues with fuelling indirectly..

<tuffty/>

Personally if you plan to keep the car and do not know when or if the coil packs have been changed then I would change them all... one thing is for sure... they fail...

Its typically an age thing and while the early ones back in the day used to fail more regularly the newer ones are just fine...

<tuffty/>
No need unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket or want a bit of bling... a new OE is fine for normal K04 mapped levels of power

By lamper I assume you mean lambda... the DV you fit won't have a direct affect on lambda but a rubbish one (Split-R, I looking at you now!!!) will leak air and cause the sort of running issues associated with an airleak in the charge air system... this can cause issues with fuelling indirectly..

<tuffty/>
To be honest with you i want to keep this car as close to standard as possible. I would rather spend the money else where. The wheels have a few light kerb marks for example and a nice new set of rubber would be more up my street.