After 63months and 37.5k miles the S3 is going.......

msdmjb

Reaction score
I have agreed to trade my 2014 3dr manual S3 for a 2017 R8 V10.

Car has been great in a very unexciting efficient kind of way, only issues were faulty haldex just after 3yrs old but bought a 5year extension when I bought the car so nil cost. Car was bought new LHD from the UK for £29.5k and exported two weeks later and has lived in salt free southern France since, got 27k euro on trade in so remarkable value motoring. Standard annual servicing, long term average of 32.4mpg, regularly saw very high speed cruising on smooth empty European mways. Exhaust tips still like new :)

Washed I think three times, paintwork is in excellent condition and interior is like new.
95% of its use was going to the airport and back for work, rest was racing around mountain roads.

S3 was never exciting to use, sometimes frustrating but overall a very effective tool. Will miss a manual gearbox and still not convinced by my decision but felt I had to grab it before the days of non-turbo performance engines ends. Whilst turbos are very effective they just don't feel the same.

I have a spare set of titanium 10spoke OE alloys in excellent nick and an MTM M-Cantronic which is an ace bit of kit and does what it claims to do if anybody is interested.

Drive carefully out there.

Reactions: Ormesome and pburv
How the hell did you manage to only lose less than 20% of new value on trade in?!

How the hell did you manage to only lose less than 20% of new value on trade in?!
£23k in our money, looks like they have taken it off the new car and put it on the px.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Nope, not moving value around much to fudge the figures.
Partly the fx worked in my favour.
Partly because I restricted the options when I bought.
Mostly because performance cars in Europe are so much more expensive, list price in euro when I bought was 50k euro (currently 57k euro). Anybody buying new but living in Europe has to consider buying LHD in the UK as the UK is sooooooooo much more competitive, over here on performance cars there is a tax penalty e.g. to register a new R8 in France is >25k euro.
So long story short if I had been a local and bought locally in France i would have lost approx 50%.

Audi sell handfuls of performance cars over here compared to the UK so the market is tiny, a new RS5 is 98k euro !! Part of me thinks once/if the UK leaves Europe there has to be some kind of alignment in prices as the UK at the moment is miles cheaper than anywhere in Europe (other than maybe Luxembourg/Andorra)

Reactions: Ormesome
Let's hear about the new one!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pburv
Nope, not moving value around much to fudge the figures.
Partly the fx worked in my favour.
Partly because I restricted the options when I bought.
Mostly because performance cars in Europe are so much more expensive, list price in euro when I bought was 50k euro (currently 57k euro). Anybody buying new but living in Europe has to consider buying LHD in the UK as the UK is sooooooooo much more competitive, over here on performance cars there is a tax penalty e.g. to register a new R8 in France is >25k euro.
So long story short if I had been a local and bought locally in France i would have lost approx 50%.

Audi sell handfuls of performance cars over here compared to the UK so the market is tiny, a new RS5 is 98k euro !! Part of me thinks once/if the UK leaves Europe there has to be some kind of alignment in prices as the UK at the moment is miles cheaper than anywhere in Europe (other than maybe Luxembourg/Andorra)

For sure worth doing and you demonstrate real knowledge of doing it. Most, including me, wouldn't have even thought of buying LHD in the UK and exporting it new, directly to France. Iv done it with second hand cars but never thought of new. Well done! Great deal. Really shows the pros & cons of car buying in the EU though compared to the UK. Super high buying price but then the residual value is high too so i guess it evens out.