Power steering judder/ vibration when turning

Jonniwizz

Reaction score
Please can anybody give me any suggestions at what to try next, it's looking like a money pit! My A4 steering is juddering/ vibrating when turning, like its straining turning or like if there is trapped air in the system and need bleeding. I have done the lock to lock bleeding procedure over and over, makes no difference. It's almost like there isn't much flow in the whole system and the pump is struggling and the return hose from the rack vibrates like crazy when the steering is turned. So far I have changed the power steering pump, serpentine belt, alternator clutch pulley, fresh fluid change X 2, and finally a new steering rack and another fluid change! All of these have resulted in no difference to the steering at all. When the car is jacked up with no weight on the wheels the steering is fine with no noise or vibrations when turning. It only happens when the wheels are on the ground. Any help would be much appreciated, would really need to know what's the next route. T.I.A

Last edited:
I've now changed the top strut mounts, the upper control arms and track rod ends thinking it was something suspension related and it hasn't made any difference at all. It definitely seems power steering circuit related, bit at a loss now where to go next with it.