Help!? Car runs sweet then after a couple days konks out!

JonBoi25

Reaction score
Where to start!. Bought a right bodge job off someone a few weeks back.
Been over the whole car bit by bit repairing his bodgery.!

Backstory.
On the day of purchase I drove the car 3 hours home and it broke down 3 times on me.!! Grr.
I would leave it half hour and try again and it would start all be it not very nicely but I would be able to limp it further home.
I unplugged the maf at one point which seemed to help the situation.

I've since replaced loads of things.
It had a noisey inline fuel pump so I've fitted the dw65v in tank one and I've fitted a new filter. Ran these on my last s3 no issues.
Car is running 360bhp on hybrid set up.

Anyway my issue is car runs fine, all seems sweet then I just get loss off pedal and poor idle like 400 rpm! Like it's just holding on. And then in turn no acceleration so last night I was towed home!.

In my mind for it to be so on / off it must be electrical? Sensor ? But then it seems to me it's not getting fuel ? I'm going to remove the second fuel filter under the bonnet and try to open up some more flow. This could also be blocked.

Any other pointers welcome
Thanks

Right so nothing much from vagcom, which was my reasoning for suspecting fuel pressure / starvation.

After a long day trying to rule things out, I removed the scuttle panel as the ecu loom was exposed and thought it may of got wet. Fitted a custom panel in to cover it and dried out the connectors. Still no joy.

I then removed the 2nd filter as I thought that may of been restricting the flow. Still no joy.

Then decided to double check all was correct with the in tank pump set up.
All looked fine, however the small hose that goes off the top of the pump had come off.
Fitted it back on and it started up a dream ‍♂️

So got there in the end.

I need to refit it all properly and possibly replace the clip as it doesnt stay connected!.

Also can anyone tell me the various pipes and places they go on the in tank set up ?

I think the one that came lose is meant to go to the bottom of the tank somewhere as a pick up but this was just floating about in the tank so may also of come loose ?

quattro's have a balance pipe as the fuel tank is essentially split into two so that the prop can pass between...

There is a pick up on the other side of the tank... the disconnected pipe goes to that and if this is twisted or disconnected then that would cause the symptoms you describe...

This is a fairly common issue when people have fitted new pumps tbh and have seen it a few times... have also seen one twisted and kinked enough from 'stuffing it in there' to create the same symptoms... its a tight fit so can see how this could be done..

Another common issue is not fitting the bottom o-ring correctly

<tuffty/>