New here from across the pond with TDI question

Rabbit 16v

Reaction score
Hi everyone, Im currently in the process of installing a BRE TDI engine into an 08 A4 Avant. It used to be a 2.0l petrol automatic, but I also converted it to a 6sp manual during the TDI swap process.

Now comes the fun part. The harness I got for the BRE came out of a Touran. Nightmare wiring. Thinking that 4v TDI 2.0l engines would likely share the same engine loom, I bought one for a BRD. I was wrong. The round connector that goes to the glow plugs and injectors is not the same and does not attach to my engine. BUT, it IS from an A4 which will make for a cleaner install.

All that said, I still need to wire this up and I cant find a BRE loom for a reasonable price. So I need to modify the BRD loom to work with the BRE ECU and engine. Does anyone know of a resource to get an engine wiring diagram for a BRD and a BRE so I can compare the two and build this loom? We never got TDIs in B7s here in the US, so access to information is nil.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Chris

Hand on heart, I think you'd be best off buying the correct loom - mainly because when you start splicing wires soldering or hand-making connections, you *might* be adding resistance that VCDS could take as an error and never clear.
I honestly think that it would be easier and less expensive to get the right engine loom in the long run......this from experience - albeit with Vauxhall/Opel/GM cars.

I agree

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. I agree that soldering would be a bad idea. I have all the proper tools and connectors to make it a factory fit, but one thing I dont have is a huge amount of spare time, lol.

Thanks for the link, I will ping the seller and see if he can post it to me for a reasonable price.

I did manage to get my hands on a diagram, so of anything, that will be helpful no matter what.

Update on this. turns out, RHD harnesses are very different from LHD. Got the harness as suggested and it seems to work but there is an extra meter of "loom" involved. Anyone cut this foam crap out to get at just the wires? I think I will at least have it running next week.

Im sure many of you find this silly since most of you can just buy a car with this setup. In the US, this is a feat, haha!

Sounds like you're making progress

I wonder if they sell remanufactured modified balancer shaft kits in the U.S ?

Progress for sure.

this engine has no balance shaft assy, so thats a bonus. It was for a transverse installation originally. I was actually pretty pleased when I changed the oil sump to find it had no balance shaft. Especially after just replacing one on a customers car, haha!

No, it never had one. Application as far as what I know was for a Touran. We didnt get those here either, so cant say if the Touran normally came with one. I did have to modify the oil pick up tube to work with the new pan. I probably could have used one from a Passat, but I didnt have one on hand at the time.

UK / European BRE have them , it's only BKD, AZV and BMN 2.0 PD that didn't get them over here .

Interesting. We never got any 16v TDI engines here. I should look a little closer at the engine at the "BRE" was just written in pen on the valve cover. Maybe its not a BRE after all. Ive swapped enough stuff though that its pretty much a BRE/BRD now, lol!

For those following, I thought I would update. We have a runner now! Also, dont use the lift pump from the petrol FSI, too much pressure. Also, two wires to eliminate the fuel pump control module, so that makes it easy as far as wiring.

Im sure you guys are facepalming for days on this as to "why would this dude do this??". Well, as mentioned, we never got it. Im pretty sure this one will be the first in the US. Thanks for all the help and pointers, I hope to update again tomorrow.

Watching with baited breath

Todays updates are as follows:

1. local parts warehouse had a throttle pedal. That solved some codes. I have NO idea what they are doing with that part since it fits no NAR models, but I am happy they had it! Revs up now and codes are gone for the pedal.

2. Found out the BRD turbo has a 3 pin VNT electronic vane controller and my wiring for the BRE is for a two pin N75 type operation. I suspect I will need to swap the actuator from the BRE turbo I took off and plumb it for the BRE N75. Shouldnt be too bad there.

3. did some coding updates on the changes and found out there isnt really a definitive chart. Some trial and error now has the car thinking it has xenon lights, which it now has, but no supporting electronics. I think that explains a code from central convenience that is complaining to the ECU.

So, found all the front DTM bumper parts I bought new and OEM a few years ago. Once the car is driveable, I will run it across the street for the paintwork on the front bumper. Also going to take the hood off of the other B7 as its a carbon fibre unit and have that painted as well at the same time. I didnt get a lip spoiler with the front bumper and called about that today and apparently its $800 for a new one!! Damn! So, looking into aftermarket on that. Also, no DTM avants, so need to find something fancy for the rear bumper. Im not a body guy, but if I was, I would take the DTM bumper off of the other car and graft it together. Oh well, cant be too bad, right?

Reactions: Pedrödelabongo
Of note, "other car" is my profile picture. Frankenstein car has only a video I posted on FB about the engine running.

Ok, updated info for anyone reading. Trying to get this thing sorted so she can have it by xmas, but I dont see that happening. We are now up to running and driving, albeit a little underpowered. Only engine code present is 17068 glow plug control module implausible signal. All wiring checks out on that, so not sure how to address this one. Swapped in a spare relay and no change.

For some reason, the ECU will not take coding to tell it that its awd. It seems content with being fwd, but the other modules are not happy with that. The internet said (lol) that coding cannot be done if there are fault codes present. Can anyone confirm this theory? The glow plug code is a hard fault and will not go away, so that may be a thing.

Symphony 2 radio is interesting. we are installing a new radio as well since she wanted a true bluetooth streaming option from her walkman, so I had to wire that in. All wired in for 5 channels now, but waiting on an upgraded woofer to install in the stock location. Once that arrives, I will be installing a German made KAC 714 to power it. That should be nice.

The alternator light seems to be an issue as well. I heve the correct wires going to the alternator. At one point I reversed the wires to see if any change. That just yielded in a DF connection code to the ECU. So, now its connected properly but the light wont go out. Its charging as checked with a meter at about 14v or so. But the light remains. This is persistent with one used alternator and two new Bosch alternators, so I dont suspect its an alternator issue.

DTM front bumper is painted and ready, but the grill doesnt work. the ****** part is the grill that was on the sedan was a black chrome grill that I wanted to use. Went through all the effort to remove it and swap in the stock one, only to find out that was a waste of time. I have a replacement grill on the way. So that leads to the stop on progress of bumper install. So, considering the DTM edition bumper has the headlight washers, I thought I would go ahead and wire that all in and code it. Well, that was a huge waste of time. Apparently pin 2 already is prewired. Not sure where it ends up in the e box though because the diagram I have doesnt tell me. Any thoughts on this?

So, in reality, I only have about three hurdles left.

1. Coding of ECU to get the other modules to stop complaining

2. headlight washer coding/wiring?

3. Alternator light

thanks again for enduring my masochism!

Also, of note, I did swap in recaros from a B6. the Frankencar is an 08 and as such, there are issues between the two seat setups. Took me a little searching to find it. But, the airbag light was on. This was narrowed down to the 08 having a specific seat occupied setup for the front passenger seat as well as the rear seatbelt pyrotechnic jobbie. So, if you do this, you will need to swap in the seat pressure system from the B7 into the B6 recaro seat as well as swapping the center rear seatbelt retractor jobbie. That cleared one of my many warning lights. Hopefully that will help someone.

Last edited:
Ok, back to this and hopefully my suspicion is not correct. From what I have gathered, a B7 Quattro A4 with a 2.0 TDI only comes with the option of a PD170. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Reactions: AvantMike
I believe you're right. B7 only came as a170 hp BKD engine.

You're clearly up for a challenge, but if you wanted a 2.0l TDI so badly would it have been easier to import one from Europe (or UK and convert it to LHD)?

Reactions: Rabbit 16v
I dont mind challenges. Some can be frustrating though, haha!

LHD and RHD dont matter here. BUT, its not possible to import one as its not old enough. Our importation rules basically come down to the vehicle must be 25 years old or older. Otherwise, it would need to meet all EPA and NHTSA standards and since this motor was never put in any US spec car, it would need to go through EPA testing. Add in the cost of the car, cost of shipping, cost of paperwork, and we are looking at well into the $20k range for a used car with probably 100k miles or more on it.

I presume you meant the BRD,, not the BKD engine? After some digging, this is what I have concluded as well. not very reassuring since I know the ECU is a Siemens and the injectors are different as well. I think this comes down to me deciding how important warning lights are, lol! Or, I buy an ECU and injectors and hope it works out. My friend at TDTuning has been pretty helpful and he advised that the Siemens EU is pretty much junk, but that leaves me with no alternative either. Unless, someone knows of the magic button?