No 1.0 TSi DSG Auto?

Dave Cornwell

Reaction score
I currently have 1.0 TSi DSG Sportback Sport. Looking on Audi website can't seem to get this configuration now. Seem to only have diesel and 1.5 petrol autos. Is this correct? Shame because this is a dream combo for me. 0-62 in 9.8 secs and 58 mpg on a decent run on mainly motorways.

Another example of Audi streamilining - no demand for a 1.0 DSG.
All designed to "persuade" you to spend more. You want DSG - pay a bit more and buy a 1.5

Another example of Audi streamilining - no demand for a 1.0 DSG.
All designed to "persuade" you to spend more. You want DSG - pay a bit more and buy a 1.5

Why would advertising the 1.0 TFSI S-Tronic persuade me to a buy a 1.5 TFSI S-Tronic?

I have the 1.0 TFSI S-Tronic because I wanted it, if I didn’t want it I’d have something else.

I currently have 1.0 TSi DSG Sportback Sport. Looking on Audi website can't seem to get this configuration now. Seem to only have diesel and 1.5 petrol autos. Is this correct? Shame because this is a dream combo for me. 0-62 in 9.8 secs and 58 mpg on a decent run on mainly motorways.

Could possibly be due to the new model A3 coming out soon with new engines etc but not sure really.

You might be best going into a dealer to discuss.

Why would advertising the 1.0 TFSI S-Tronic persuade me to a buy a 1.5 TFSI S-Tronic?

I have the 1.0 TFSI S-Tronic because I wanted it, if I didn’t want it I’d have something else.

The configurator doesn't show the S-Tronic available now with the 1.6 diesel either.
Being cynical you could say that Audi's stance is if you want a certain engine or gearbox it is still available - but you have to spend more to get it, for example buying a 2.0 rather than a 1.6 diesel to get S-Tronic. You want the 184 diesel it isn't available with a 6-speed manual and you have to spec S-Tronic/Quattro to get it...etc. so your only option is to buy a more expensive car.

Buying a new Audi used to be about being able to spec the car you want, but they have reduced the available configurations in the name of streamlining to reduce their costs. Their excuse is if they only build small numbers for certain engine/gearbox combinations they have dropped the option.

The configurator doesn't show the S-Tronic available now with the 1.6 diesel either.
Being cynical you could say that Audi's stance is if you want a certain engine or gearbox it is still available - but you have to spend more to get it, for example buying a 2.0 rather than a 1.6 diesel to get S-Tronic. You want the 184 diesel it isn't available with a 6-speed manual and you have to spec S-Tronic/Quattro to get it...etc. so your only option is to buy a more expensive car.

Buying a new Audi used to be about being able to spec the car you want, but they have reduced the available configurations in the name of streamlining to reduce their costs. Their excuse is if they only build small numbers for certain engine/gearbox combinations they have dropped the option.

also to do with new emissions test and every Combination of extras has to be tested

therefore you see all brand new range audis i.e come with packs with little individual options - looks at the MY20 A4 and compare that to the options you have with the A5 - more choice and flexibility with the A5 but same thing will happen to the A5

ist about speed to makrte now so the more they pack options together the less lead time to get through emissions test

BMW have gone exactly the same way and merc have done this for the past few years

I don’t think it’s as cynical as that.
The 2.0 tdi was bad for dual mass flywheel and clutch issues so maybe they removed the manual option as over the years they realised they broke too often.

The new car options are in packs now cause it’s easier for road tax and insurance purposes and also stops dealers dropping/losing an option or 2 to slip under the £40k threshold.

I don’t think it’s as cynical as that.
The 2.0 tdi was bad for dual mass flywheel and clutch issues so maybe they removed the manual option as over the years they realised they broke too often.
Or Audi could have spent an extra few quid and fitted a DMF/clutch that was up to the job. Better to have buyers pay an extra £2500 for the Quattro/S-Tronic if they want an A3 diesel with decent performance though.

Or Audi could have spent an extra few quid and fitted a DMF/clutch that was up to the job. Better to have buyers pay an extra £2500 for the Quattro/S-Tronic if they want an A3 diesel with decent performance though.

I don’t think they can make a better clutch/dmf. You think after 20+ years of dmf/clutch issues they would be able to make it better by now.
Got to remember they need to maintain a certain level of comfort and ease of drivability. A stronger clutch/dmf will make it way too heavy for your average users.
I’m a big fan of dsg boxes when they work. At £2500 for better performance and better mpg is worth every penny.

Other thing is it’s market driven. In the UK we favour manual to autos where as in **** it’s the other way round. So lots more autos available and less manuals.

I don’t think they can make a better clutch/dmf. You think after 20+ years of dmf/clutch issues they would be able to make it better by now.
Yes they can - you can even buy clutches with better friction material and/or higher clamping force that will take much more torque than any standard engine in the A3 range.
Got to remember they need to maintain a certain level of comfort and ease of drivability. A stronger clutch/dmf will make it way too heavy for your average users.
Comfort level! Clutches are as light as a feather these days and I would prefer a slightly heavier clutch that is up to the job. That's what test drives are for. Everybody used to manage perfectly well when clutches were way heavier than they are now.
I’m a big fan of dsg boxes when they work. At £2500 for better performance and better mpg is worth every penny.
I'm not a big fan of a gearbox with a mind of its own that sometimes does the dumbest thing at the most inconvenient moment. I would challenge your statement that a dsg+quattro will return anywhere near the fuel economy of a FWD manual with a similar engine.
Other thing is it’s market driven. In the UK we favour manual to autos where as in **** it’s the other way round. So lots more autos available and less manuals.
So because **** favours autos Audi shouldn't allow us a manual option?

Reactions: Phutters
For 2020My A1's , you can only have 1.5 35TFSI as S tronic, no manual.
If you want manual, it's 1 litre only.

Yes they can - you can even buy clutches with better friction material and/or higher clamping force that will take much more torque than any standard engine in the A3 range.

Comfort level! Clutches are as light as a feather these days and I would prefer a slightly heavier clutch that is up to the job. That's what test drives are for. Everybody used to manage perfectly well when clutches were way heavier than they are now.

I'm not a big fan of a gearbox with a mind of its own that sometimes does the dumbest thing at the most inconvenient moment. I would challenge your statement that a dsg+quattro will return anywhere near the fuel economy of a FWD manual with a similar engine.

So because **** favours autos Audi shouldn't allow us a manual option?

I’m not trying to argue and agree with some of your points. It’s a supply and demand thing. **** and Americas are the biggest market in the world and they predominantly drives autos. For every manual they sell globally they probably sell 10 or 100 autos so no point in spending too much r&d money on manuals.
It’s easier if the Audi factory only use limited variation of engine/gearbox combinations so it simplifies production. The a3 are mass produced cars with a low price point so simplicity in the manufacturing process is needed to reduce cost and maximise profit. That means some markets won’t get the manual option and only autos. Normally high end motors(Audi, merc, bmw) are luxury cars and having an auto is a luxury item so to distance themselves from the cheaper vw models even though underneath they are the same. The 2.0 tdi Quattro is around £35k so definitely a luxury item.
if you want a basic car with manual you can buy from the rest of the vag group instead. I bet that 2.0tdi is available as a manual in the golf/Leon. That could be the Audi mentality.
back to the dsg points. Agree it’s not perfect but it does it’s job well enough. Nothing is ever perfect.
I’ve had both 2.0tdi a6 c7 manual and a 2.0tdi a6 c7 with dsg. Both fwd
The dsg was around 10-20% more economical on long journeys as it had an extra gear so cruising at 70 it was revving a lot less. With all this wltp nonsense going on the vag group needs to reduce emissions in every possible way that includes taking as much of the driver out the equation and let the computer do the driving with your dsg boxes and energy recuperation tech along with the annoying stop start stuff.
Basically as an individual buyer our choices are limited. For Audi they will make more money.
Anyway rant over.

I’m not trying to argue and agree with some of your points. It’s a supply and demand thing. **** and Americas are the biggest market in the world and they predominantly drives autos. For every manual they sell globally they probably sell 10 or 100 autos so no point in spending too much r&d money on manuals.
It’s easier if the Audi factory only use limited variation of engine/gearbox combinations so it simplifies production. The a3 are mass produced cars with a low price point so simplicity in the manufacturing process is needed to reduce cost and maximise profit. That means some markets won’t get the manual option and only autos. Normally high end motors(Audi, merc, bmw) are luxury cars and having an auto is a luxury item so to distance themselves from the cheaper vw models even though underneath they are the same. The 2.0 tdi Quattro is around £35k so definitely a luxury item.
if you want a basic car with manual you can buy from the rest of the vag group instead. I bet that 2.0tdi is available as a manual in the golf/Leon. That could be the Audi mentality.
back to the dsg points. Agree it’s not perfect but it does it’s job well enough. Nothing is ever perfect.
I’ve had both 2.0tdi a6 c7 manual and a 2.0tdi a6 c7 with dsg. Both fwd
The dsg was around 10-20% more economical on long journeys as it had an extra gear so cruising at 70 it was revving a lot less. With all this wltp nonsense going on the vag group needs to reduce emissions in every possible way that includes taking as much of the driver out the equation and let the computer do the driving with your dsg boxes and energy recuperation tech along with the annoying stop start stuff.
Basically as an individual buyer our choices are limited. For Audi they will make more money.
Anyway rant over.

We agree on most points but there is no R&D costs for fitting a manual box to either the 184 or S3 as they have both been available and withdrawn well before WLTP. The clutches are obviously up to the job otherwise Audi wouldn't refuse warranty claims when they fail at low mileage and they wouldn't blame the drivers for burning them out through misuse.

I've had DSG equipped loaner cars for extended periods and done around 1000 miles in a 2.0 150 diesel and 1200 miles in an S3 saloon. The diesel was just awful to drive with this box IMO. The S3 was better but still not great - which is why I ordered (and love driving) my manual S3.

The origins of this thread was Dave complaining that he couldn't order a 1.0 with DSG and I put forward my cynical opinion of some of the reasons Audi would no longer build him the car he wanted. - streamlining, simplifying production and Audi making more money by leaving the buyer with no option but to buy an even more expensive car to get the particular feature they want.

Oh for the days when manufacturers only produced models in a choice of 1.6 or 2.0 petrol, with either base or de-luxe trim and you fitted your own wireless.

That's my rant over too - no more this time from me. LOL :thumbs up:

Reactions: AlS3BE
Once all the more autonomous aids start to become mandatory in 2020, plus what will be a rise in hybrids, we will all be driving automatics anyway.
And the suggestion that our friends across the pond only want automatics isn't quite the complete picture and neither is it that America the largest market, certainly not in 2018.
Global Car Sales by Region

Guessing is consistent with most opinions, however the article does clearly state " The MQ281 will equip smaller cars in the VW family, from the Polo to the Tiguan, as well as others wearing Audi, Skoda and Seat badges". Unless you've some actual inside information to the contrary from Audi themselves?

Guessing is consistent with most opinions, however the article does clearly state " The MQ281 will equip smaller cars in the VW family, from the Polo to the Tiguan, as well as others wearing Audi, Skoda and Seat badges". Unless you've some actual inside information to the contrary from Audi themselves?

Probably just looking at the trend it’s going at least in the uk.
Most reasonably powerful Audi’s now are either auto or dsg. Can’t even get the s3 in manual anymore. If you want a manual then it’s golf r. I would say s3 is a perfect car for a manual. Small hot hatch with decent power.
All the bigger Audi’s a6-8 are only available as auto/dsg similarly with q5-q8 where as before the lowered powered ones was available in manual.
Audi UK must see autos are more favourable so decide not to import the manuals for us, some are still available in manuals in other regions just not UK. There’s also tech like ACC works better with autos and all this semi-autonomous gizmos that needs to controls speed will all need some form of automatic. It’s the inevitable, want a decent spec car with latest tech you are gonna have to get an auto. Manuals are gonna be for the cheaper more basic cars.
Not saying I agree with it. It’s just the way it’s going. I like a manual for hooning around but much prefer an auto for my congested slow commute.

Large Audi saloons should always have auto gearboxes anyway as the buying public and fleet will always favour them, no one goes 'hooning' around in them, aside from maybe RS versions. The gearbox I linked to is MQ which means it is for transverse platforms only anyway. However there is also some cutting back on options Audi are doing which has nothing to do with other markets as it is across many of their models. I am sure they dropped the manual gearbox from the S3 because the clutch was the weak point, judging from owners reports in this forum.
If you wish my personal opinion the dsg, or the zf hp8, is perfectly suited for high performance cars, a non manual works fine in F1 and other motorsports and has quicker acceleration as well...
Funny how many US based car websites are also reporting on this gearbox https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/07/20190716-mq281.html as well so they feel they're getting it...

Last edited:
Large Audi's should always have auto gearboxes anyway as the buying public and fleet will always favour them, no one goes 'hooning' around in them. The gearbox I linked to is MQ which means it is for transverse platforms only anyway. However there is also some cutting back on options Audi are doing which has nothing to do with other markets as it is across many of their models. I am sure they dropped the manual gearbox from the S3 because the clutch was the weak point, judging from owners reports in this forum.
If you wish my personal opinion the dsg, or the zf hp8, is perfectly suited for high performance cars, a non manual works fine in F1 and other motorsports and has quicker acceleration as well...
Funny how many US based car websites are also reporting on this gearbox https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/07/20190716-mq281.html as well so they feel they're getting it...

Was it not recently that Vw and Audi said that no more manuals for the US market? I’m sure I read that somewhere around all the diesel gate stuff.